centered image

centered image

ER Doctor Dies Of Cardiac Arrest After Working 24-Hour Shift

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

A beloved doctor at one of China’s top hospitals has died of sudden cardiac arrest after working a 24-hour shift, prompting medical staff to question workers’ hours and staffing at the facility, Central European News (CEN) reported.

Dr. Li Jing, 43, was the head of the emergency department at the Guangzhou Red Cross Hospital in Guangzhou, capital of south China’s Guangdong Province. According to CEN, Jing died at home with his wife after reportedly undergoing excess physical fatigue.

Jing’s co-workers described him as a tireless worker who frequently logged overtime and would go out of his way to lighten co-workers’ loads.

Yang Weiguang, one of Jing’s colleagues, said Jing put his head down on his desk in his office after his 8 a.m. to 8 a.m. shift ended, and that the doctor seemed feverish. But staffers didn’t express concern over the doctor’s tiredness as the symptom wasn’t uncommon among any of the workers.

“It was very sudden,” Weiguang told CEN. “He was in such good health, and he loved sports. It’s sad to see a doctor with 21 years of experience go like that."

Weiguang noted that Jing had led the hospital during outbreaks of SARS, dengue fever and the avian flu. He said colleagues will remember him as a modest and hardworking man.

"I believe the reason for this tragedy is that hospitals are too often understaffed,” Weiguang added. “There is not enough manpower to handle the work and to allow doctors to rest."

2b6b3c7c4eaf6c24c7acc779f93fe4b3.jpg

Source

Add Reply
    RSA likes this.

2. drbrender

drbrender Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    His death had ZERO to do with the 24 hour shift. Where is the autopsy results? Was he a smoker as many Chinese are?

3. Dorel

Dorel Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Sweden
    How on earth are you calling yourself a doctor but reject the MAJOR impact acute stress (physical) has on the body. Probably didn't have time to eat or drink enough. Probably kortisol levels up to the sky. 24h ER with electrolyte deficiency and maybe some predisposure is enough in my opinion

Joalwi likes this.
  4. drbrender

drbrender Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Give me the autopsy results. I have personally worked many hellish shifts. Many longer than 24 hours. As a surgeon, stress is part of my life . I'm still going strong at 71. There are many reasons for death. But stress isn't one of them. A heart attack is, a stroke is, cancer is. So - what did the autopsy show?

Cortisol is spelled with a c not a k. Electrolyte disturbance. Like hypokalemia & a cardiac arrhythmia? Highly unlikely unless he was on diuretics. Hyperkalemia and cardia arrest. Unlikely without kidney disease. Na issues - not unless there was a brain tumor. What electrolyte disturbance. From not eating or eating improperly. Nope. Doesn't happen without actual pathology. Unless he ate poison - even starving 24 hours, not going to kill you. Smoking - MI at young age. That will KILL YOU.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    - According to these Chinese Article, He had sudden cardiac arrest although he doesnt have history of any medical problem.

- Few months ago, an Egyptian doctor died cause of sudden cardiac attack too inside the operating room and I shared it here : https://forum.facmedicine.com/threads/news-death-of-an-egyptian-anesthesiologist-in-the-operating-room-while-working.23560/

- According to this study : between 20 and 40 percent of sudden cardiac deaths are precipitated by acute emotional stressors.

Ghada Ali youssef likes this.
  6. OrthDream

OrthDream Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Denmark
    Your comment forced me to create an account, something I've never done before, just to inform you what a blockhead you are and how utterly unprofessional you sound.
    Given your age you should have learnt that by now.

Regards,
    a fellow surgeon

7. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Even if you had long shifts before, this doesn't justify the current working hours on physicians. It's unethical and inhumane . I agree with you that an autopsy should be done to confirm the cause of death. But I'm most certainly sure that horribly long shifts causes adverse health effects.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Doctors all over the world warn patients from effects of stress either physical or emotional and they can't help themselves getting away from stressful conditions
    Yes Doctors can get sick too!

9. DrAnserNaqvi

DrAnserNaqvi Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    I agree with drbrender annalysis & response to some gentleman.