centered image

Ethical Practice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chamandeep, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Chamandeep

Chamandeep Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India

How difficult it is to practice ethically?
    I am a young pediatrician. I have just entered private practice. It is said that the youngest of doctors are least corrupt and most ethical. But I find that it is very difficult to practice ethically. A child came with complaint of vomiting and fever. I prescribed them symptomatic treatment with antipyeretics and a lot of fluid. The attendant said that he was very poor so I did not took my fees. In evening the attendant rang me up saying that fever is persisting and child also had loose stools that were watery. I advised them ORS with rest and 6 hourly antipyeretics and antiemetics. I even personally called them at night and he said that the child was fine. I was relaxed. 3 days later the attendant met me and said that the child is admitted in another hospital. On enquiring he said that a day later he began having blood in stools. So he was taken to another hospital where they paid a handsome amount. I think If I should have
    Ordered unnecessary investigations and given unnecessary antibiotics then he would have been satisfied. How the hell can anyone predict that diarrhea will progress to dysentery and require antibiotics. Since I just gave antipyeretics he said I did not prescribed anything to child hence he deteriorated. I m feeling sad and angry at same time. Where was the loophole. How can one prevent such incidences?

Add Reply