centered image

Family of teen Angel who took her own life suing doctors for over-prescribing anti-depressants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dr.omarislam, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dr.omarislam

dr.omarislam Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]
    THE family of teenage girl who took her own life are suing the doctors who prescribed her an anti-depressant they claim was inappropriate and carries an increased risk of suicide.

In the landmark case, the parents and sister of 14-year-old Angel Cowie are taking four Queensland doctors to court for prescribing her increasing doses of the powerful anti-depressant Endep, the court claim states.

Angel’s mother Renea Wheatley said rather than the drug helping Angel get through her depression it became a means to kill herself.

[​IMG]

Now three years after her daughter took her own life with an overdose, Ms Wheatley just wants justice for Angel’s death and to warn other parents of the dangers.

“Angel didn’t like taking medication. She didn’t want to be a pill popper. But she did it for me,’’ Ms Wheatley, 37, said.

“I just wanted her to get better. As a parent I thought I was doing the right thing.’’

Shattered by the loss of Angel, Ms Wheatley, 37, Angel’s father Michael Cowie, 37, and her sister Amber Cowie, 16, are now suing the four GPs for negligence and breach of duty of care and breach of contract.

The court claim alleges Endep, as a tricyclic anti-depressant, was inappropriate for treating major depressive disorders in adolescents and carries a “significantly higher risk of suicide or higher rate of death in the event of an overdose than newer non-tricyclic anti-depressants”.

Each has suffered shock and distress as a result of Amber’s death, the District Court claim, filed by Maurice Blackburn, says.

“Angel was one of the most caring people I’ve ever known. She felt things so deeply,’’ Ms Wheatley said.

“My daughter could well have been alive if she had been given the right medication.

“Some of these medications prescribed to our children are very dangerous. I want parents to do the research and not just let their children take what the doctor says.’’

[​IMG]

The family of Angel Cowie are suing the doctors who prescibed her an anti-depressant they claim contributed to her death.
    A recent report in Australian Doctor said researchers from Monash University found a rise in GPs prescribing inappropriate anti-depressants to young people.

The report said only fluoxentine was recommended for adolescents.

Ms Wheatley said Angel suffered depression from the age of 12 and after recognising the signs, she took her to a central Queensland medical centre in February, 2012.

The claim says after being told Angel had been self-mutilating for two months, the doctor prescribed 10 milligrams a day of Endep.

It contains the tricyclic anti-depressant, amitriptyline hydrochloride.

A month later, after being told Angel had sleep and behavioural problems, the same GP increased the Endep dosage to 25mg a day, the claim alleges.

Angel stopped taking it three months later and in November, 2012, after she self-harmed, she was referred to a youth mental health service, but refused to go.

The claim alleges between June 2013 and February 2014, when she died, Angel was prescribed increasing amounts of Endep by three other doctors at the same medical centre.

The daily dosages increased from 10mg to 25mg to 50mg and finally 75mg and 16 days after that final prescription, Angel took an overdose of Endep and died, according to the claim.

“Angel was a beautiful, talented girl who loved to draw, who loved her music and loved her family,’’ Mr Cowie said.

“My message to parents is ask questions, do whatever it takes to protect your children.’’

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lawyer Margaret Brain said it was tragic that someone so young lost her life and claims that four GPs prescribed medication that was totally inappropriate for adolescents with major depression.

Angel should have been prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac), a significantly less cardiotoxic drug and the only anti-depressant considered effective in treating depressed young people, the claim says.

The GPs being sued are yet to file a defence to the claim. A law firm representing three of the doctors said it could not comment and lawyers for the other doctor did not respond to calls from The Courier-Mail.

Source

Add Reply