centered image

centered image

Four Ways to Deal With Postpartum Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Gynaecology and Obstetrics' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

After my second daughter was born, I breathed a great sigh of relief. I was finally done with my pregnancy, and I was overjoyed to have a new addition to my family and a sibling for my older daughter. I was even so thrilled as to splurge on a $10,000 vacation for me and my whole family, which needless to say, left me empty pocketed. As I returned from my vacation full of envy, I started to notice my hair falling out, in huge clumps. I then realized I was going through postpartum hair loss. Here are four ways I deal with postpartum hair loss.

1. Brush, brush, brush!
    Once a day, brush your hair thoroughly. Whatever hair is falling out will come out mostly in that one brush. This will minimize the hair fall you have throughout the day. This helps because instead of having hair fall everywhere, you get most of it out when you brush. Try to brush especially before you take a shower, so you don't lose a lot of hair while showering.

2. String your fingers through your hair

When you brush, string you fingers through your hair. This will help loosen any of the hair that's trying to come out. This helps because you're loosening the hair so the brush can pick it up.

3. Eat hair strengthening foods
    Eat healthy amounts of omega-3 fatty acidic, and calcium rich foods. When I noticed my hair loss beginning, I tried to drink a glass of milk with every meal. Milk is filled with calcium which helps strengthen teeth and bones, but it's also very good for your hair.

4. Avoid harsh chemicals
    I can't stress this enough. For about six months you'll do good by avoiding blow-drying, using gel, and deep conditioning. I try to condition minimally. I wash my hair every other day and condition my hair, times a week.

More tips:

Remember, it took you almost a year to complete your pregnancy, it could take a year or longer for your body functions, including your hair growth to get back to normal. During pregnancy, your hair goes into a resting stage, and when pregnancy hormones deplete after you complete your pregnancy, the resting faze goes away, leading to hair loss. Think of this a positive step in life, your hair is coming in anew and rejuvenated. It's important to control hair loss to avoid hair getting everywhere. Hair can get wrapped around your baby fingers and toes. This is called a hair tourniquet, and this can very painful for your little one. You can expect your hair to complete its shedding it about six months to a year. As your hair continues to fall out, you may notice baby hairs growing in. This might be just the time for you try a new style, such as a short cut.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply