centered image

centered image

Here's What Could Happen If You Don't Properly Remove Mascara

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

A woman in Australia who had a habit of not washing off her mascara developed serious eye problems that could have taken her vision, according to a new report.

The 50-year-old woman went to the eye doctor after experiencing the uncomfortable feeling that something was in her eyes, according to the report, published in the May issue of the journal Ophthalmology. The woman admitted that she'd heavily used mascara for more than 25 years and wasn't good about taking off her makeup.

[​IMG]

"I had fallen into a bad habit of wearing a lot of makeup and not washing it off," the woman, Theresa Lynch, told the Daily Mail.

When the doctor examined the underside of the woman's eyelids, she found darkly pigmented lumps under the conjunctiva, which is the transparent membrane that lines the eyelid and white part of the eye. Some of the lumps had even broken through the surface of the conjunctiva, the report said. Her eye problems were associated with conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva) and damage to the cornea.

"[The lumps] were embedded so deep that particles were building up on top of each other … I was so uncomfortable. My eyelids were swollen and heavy because I left it [untreated] for so long," Lynch said.

Lynch's doctor, Dr. Dana Robaei, an ophthalmic surgeon and clinical senior lecturer at The University of Sydney School of Medicine, told the Daily Mail that the dark lumps were caused by the buildup of bits of mascara under Lynch's eyelids. There was a risk that Lynch's eyes could have become infected, which, in rare cases, can lead to blindness, Robaei said.

"You must be meticulous" about removing mascara, Robaei added.

Lynch underwent a 90-minute procedure to have the lumps removed, but she still has permenant scarring on her eyelids, according to the Daily Mail.

Original article on Live Science.

Source

Add Reply
    Kevin Nobles likes this.

2. Kevin Nobles

Kevin Nobles Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    More often than not, we get lazy to get rid of the makeup before going to bed, and leaving mascara on our eyelashes overnight can harm us. Mascara, if left overnight, can cause your eyelashes to fall off. To make thing worse, broken eyelashes can actually scratch your eye, especially cornea, causing more damage.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019