centered image

How Are You Going to Spend Your “Last Summer” of Medical School?

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, May 26, 2014.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

The summer between first year and second year of medical school is sometimes referred to as the “last summer” since it is the last time students can travel or take off before they start the journey towards USMLE Step 1 and then their third year clerkships. With the angst building, first year medical students are actively deciding in the dead of winter what they will do over the summer. One popular decision is to do research – this is not uncommon since residency programs are increasingly competitive and look for students who have a commitment to scholarly work. However, there are a plethora of other things students could do as well. As tonight is our “Intro to our Summer Research Program” for Pritzker medical students, I thought I would share some of the most common questions I get about the “Last Summer”:

[​IMG]

1. Should I do research in a competitive field? The answer here is to do substantive research that you are interested in with a “CAPE” mentor (Capable, Available, Project interests you, Easy to get along with). As my pre-med advisor once told me, “Mickey Mouse” research is not going to look good to anyone (no offense Mickey). The key is to find something you are passionate about – after all you have to tell this story on your interview trail of why you chose to do this and the answer “because I wanted to go into ortho” is not really that captivating to anyone (even to an orthopedic surgeon). Instead, if you do something you are passionate about, like community health work, you can always tie it back to your chosen field. Most residency program directors don’t expect that you arrived in medical school with laser focus towards their field anyway, and expect to hear some type of journey or “a-ha” moment that drew you to their field. Because competitive specialties are often reimbursed for clinical work and tend to be smaller departments, the depth of research opportunities may be more limited. But, don’t forget that neuroscience research is relevant to neurosurgery – and oncology research on head and neck cancer is still relevant for ENT and so forth. The best research often crosses departmental boundaries, so you should not be afraid to either. It’s also important to remember that as a first year student, it’s hard to even know if you will be competitive for radiation oncology or associated competitive specialties. You will need killer board scores, and great clinical grades. So, while you may think securing the research with the Dept Chair will give you an extra edge, nothing and no one can make up for a poor performance on high stakes exams or clinical rotations. So, don’t forget to study!

[​IMG]

2. How can I go to country X? How can I get a global health rotation there? Well, certainly the urge to travel is strong in anyone (including me). But, you need to separate your travel bug from a genuine interest in global health. Most global health rotations are not vacations and may not be located in what you think of as tourist destinations (despite the short-lived popularity of Off the Map). Maybe your stars are aligned and your school or a nearby affiliate you know has a program near your hot spot of interest. Usually, however, it is not that easy and you should consider how strong your affinity is for a specific country or location versus your interest in getting the best global health experience possible. Global health programs that fund medical students are not easy to come by. So, if you are genuinely interested in global health, it is always better to go with an established program and mentor to get the most substantive experience — even if it’s not in your exact country of interest. The other thing to remember is while this may be your last summer for a while; it is not your last vacation! You will have time to plan a visit to your designated hot spot if you can’t work it in this summer.

[​IMG]

3. Do I have to do anything? The answer here is easy – no, you don’t have to do anything per se with your time off. Many students find themselves on the hamster wheel of endless extracurricular activities. The real question is what is your goal? If it is to go home and see family and friends, there is nothing wrong with that! The key is to ensure that you are doing something with your time off that will make you feel ready to face the second year of medical school. It is easy to forget that there is a lot of time to participate in extracurricular activities at various other points in your medical school career. Remember that if you will regret not spending time with your friends or family this summer, then you need to make time to do that.

[​IMG]

4. What if I want to do everything because I don’t want to close any doors? This is not an uncommon feeling for medical students. However, it’s important to remember that your summer work is not choosing a specialty! There is essentially nothing you can do over the summer that will close a door – there may be some things that allow you to put your foot further into the doorway but that does not mean another door will close. The only doors you close are the ones in your mind. Most students decide on their specialty after their third year rotations and will often fine-tune their experiences in research in that area in the fourth year. Another thing to consider is research in a cross-cutting area like ethics that could apply to everything. Sometimes the angst you may be feeling is about making a choice that is wrong for you. However, the truth is that as long as you are genuinely interested in the opportunity, you cannot make a wrong choice since it will be an easy story to tell no matter what you do. Since everyone is different, it is always good to get individualized advice from a faculty advisor at your school who can comment on your specific career and research goals.

Finally, no matter what you do with your last summer, don’t forget to make sure you enjoy it!

Source

Add Reply