centered image

How Do Doctors Feel About Rectal Exams?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Ed Averbukh, Doctor, working at Medicine and Healthcare

[​IMG]

I still remember the first one I performed, or, to put it right, was expected to perform while being a medical student (more than thirty years ago).

I was somewhat shy and I felt terribly embarrassed when I have informed a relatively young female patient, who was hospitalized in the Internal Medicine department, that I have to perform a rectal exam on her as a part of the physical examination.

She agreed, and I proceeded gently, putting on the examination gloves and then applying some Vaseline to my index finger. The patient was lying on her side covered with sheets, and I thought to myself that surely I can do it without removing the covers for the sake of her privacy and my embarrassment.

Unfortunately I was wrong. I couldn't find the hole under the covers. I tried to palpate my way in, but apparently much higher than anatomically possible. I felt terrible. After my second failed attempt I stopped, said that everything is fine and retreated.

It was, like Donald Trump says, “a complete disaster”.

Fortunately, as an ophthalmologist I don't have to perform rectal exams on my patients and no one expects me to. What a relief.

Source

Add Reply