centered image

How Does One Become A World-Renowned Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

How does one become a world-renowned doctor?

In shows like House, M.D., House is widely regarded as one of the best (and most famous) doctors in his field. How exactly does one become regarded as one of the best doctors in his or her field? How does he or she become world-renowned? Specifically, for oncologists?

When I say "renowned," I mean renowned among other doctors and the scientific/medical communities. Not necessarily renowned in the sense that Dr. Oz is.

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and below is one of the best answers:

Answered by James Pan, Med Student at Stanford

What exactly does "world-renowned" mean to you? I think there are two meanings for this:
    • You become a household name like Dr. Oz
    • or You become the person to call when performing a Deep hypothermic circulatory arrest operation like Rob Spetlzer.

I prefer the latter because the former is meaningless. That means you spent more time promoting yourself than taking care of your patients. You're famous, but for all the wrong reasons. One of my most favorite medical writers, Atul Gawande, a surgeon at Harvard, is allegedly not-so-good at operating. That's understandable because when you spend so much time writing, your surgical skills will naturally weaken. Dr. Oz on the other hand, has completely gone towards the path of quackery and pseudoscience (basically, he's gone wacko). So "world–renowned" in this sense doesn't necessarily mean good doctor, and I think it can actually be dangerous for medicine (especially in Dr. Oz's case).

Whereas for the second path, I think you're more respected for your skills as an actual physician, but you're "world–renowned" in a much smaller circle. I think that's more meaningful. When you're out of a handful of people in the world that can perform a specific procedure, or knows about a specific treatment, physicians from all over will send their most difficult patients to you. That's being world–renowned, is when other physicians look up to you and trust their patients with you. To get there:
    • Do research in a specific field and get really good at it.
    • Do a procedure over and over such that you're the best person in the world to perform that procedure.
    • Pioneer a new procedure/treatment/standard–of–care.
    • Publish papers in major medical and scientific journals.
    • Usually, the above are done in an academic medical center so it helps to be part of a university. You don't spend hours upon hours promoting yourself. You should let your work speak for itself and naturally, the medical community will notice.

Source

Add Reply

2. Okorie Chima

Okorie Chima Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Nigeria
    Like Dr F. C Akpuaka...He is renowned by your terms but you dont really hear about him. He is my lecturer. You can check his contribution on Google

Nada El Garhy likes this.