centered image

centered image

How To Keep Your Patients From Switching Physicians

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

As patients develop long-term relationships with their physicians, they are less likely to let things bother them enough to leave. The study revealed that patient satisfaction grows with age, as 82% of those over the age of 55 said they were satisfied with their physicians, compared to just 67% for those ages 18 to 34.

Communication Matters

About a third of all patients in the study were unhappy with the communication they were receiving from their doctors, and that often led to a move to find someone new.

“The number one complaint I hear is that the patients feel rushed and are unable to have questions or concerns addressed,” says Jeffrey S Gold, MD, Gold Direct Care PC in Marblehead Massachusetts. “I make it a point at each appointment to clearly take the time to ask the patient if they have any questions or concerns and address them. I feel that taking this few extra minutes with a patient greatly helps with patient retention.”

A persuading factor in switching primary care doctors often comes down to a physician’s level of positivity.

“I am very down to earth with my patients and take time to explain their labs and answer questions. I do a lot of teaching and I think the fact that I demystify medicine makes them fall in love with me and the practice,” says Leslie Ann Williams, MD, Healing Wings International, St Thomas, Virgin Islands. “A few patients left because I was not at their beck and call and will never change that. I am human and I stress a lot of self-care. I am being myself, meeting the patients’ needs while meeting my own.”

Competence Among All

It’s not surprising to learn that patients want their doctors to be knowledgeable and up on all the latest medical research, but they also want the staff to be competent and helpful. When things are running hours behind schedule and the front desk staff don’t seem to be doing much, it can cause a patient to rethink their options.

Lansen says sometimes patients come to her having left a prior provider because the previous doctor’s office felt disorganized.

“Wait times were long, appointments were booked out far in advance, lab results weren’t always delivered,” she says. “This can be extraordinarily anxiety-provoking for a patient. At our practice, we report all lab results, abnormal or not, and we explain what they mean. Maintaining a foundation of trust with a patient includes sharing all of the information as it becomes available, and making sure that it’s decipherable in a language the patient understands, not just medical jargon.”

She also makes sure to start and end all visits on time.

“I can’t count the number of instances in which I’ve heard a shocked patient proclaim that he can’t believe we actually started the visit promptly,” Lansen says. “Respecting a patient’s time goes a long way in developing a relationship of mutual regard.”

As patients develop long-term relationships with their physicians, they are less likely to let things bother them enough to leave. The study revealed that patient satisfaction grows with age, as 82% of those over the age of 55 said they were satisfied with their physicians, compared to just 67% for those ages 18 to 34.

Communication Matters

About a third of all patients in the study were unhappy with the communication they were receiving from their doctors, and that often led to a move to find someone new.

“The number one complaint I hear is that the patients feel rushed and are unable to have questions or concerns addressed,” says Jeffrey S Gold, MD, Gold Direct Care PC in Marblehead Massachusetts. “I make it a point at each appointment to clearly take the time to ask the patient if they have any questions or concerns and address them. I feel that taking this few extra minutes with a patient greatly helps with patient retention.”

Source

Add Reply