centered image

centered image

How to Remember the Cranial Nerves

Discussion in 'Anatomy' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, May 31, 2019.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Are you learning the cranial nerves? Need a way to easily remember the cranial nerves? In this article, I am going to give you two awesome cranial nerve mnemonics to help you remember the order and function of the cranial nerves. One of the mnemonics I made up myself and the other I was taught.

I remember learning the cranial nerves in my anatomy class and I had a hard time just trying to memorize them. I think most people are like you and me and need an easy way to remember.

Video on How to Remember the Cranial Nerves

Diagram of Cranial Nerves

[​IMG]

Function of the Cranial Nerves
    • Cranial Nerve I “Olfactory”: smell (try to remember this by thinking of a stinky factory putting out pollution)
    • Cranial Nerve II “Optic”: vision (optic is another word for eye and your eyes are responsible for vision)
    • Cranial Nerve III “Oculomotor”: moves eyelids, rotates eyeballs, adjust pupils and lens of the eye (oculo deals with the eye and motor mean movement)
    • Cranial Nerve IV “Trochlear”: moves eyeballs
    • Cranial Nerve V “Trigeminal”: largest of all the cranial nerves and responsible for moving facial muscles by chewing and facial sensations
    • Cranial Nerve VI “Abducens”: moves eyeballs
    • Cranial Nerve VII “Facial”: produces tears, allows for taste, form facial expressions, saliva production
    • Cranial Nerve VIII “Vestibulocochlear”: auditory (remember this by the word cochlear…think of cochlear implants that allow people to hear)
    • Cranial Nerve IX “Glossopharyngeal”: swallowing, saliva production, and taste
    • Cranial Nerve X “Vagus”: control PNS (peripheral nervous system)
    • Cranial Nerve XI “Accessory”: allows head and shoulders movement and allows for swallowing
    • Cranial Nerve XII “Hypoglossal”: formulate speech, moving tongue, swallowing
    Mnemonic for Order of Cranial Nerves
    Old Operators Occasionally Troubleshoot Tricky, Abducted Family Veterans Galloping ValiantlyAcross
    History

• Old: Olfactory
    • Operators: Optic
    • Occasionally: Oculomotor
    • Troubleshoot: Trochlear
    • Tricky: Trigeminal
    • Abducted: Abducens
    • Family: Facial
    • Veterans: Vestibulocochlear
    • Galloping: Glossopharyngeal
    • Valiantly: Vagus
    • Across: Accessory