centered image

centered image

'I Was Dead For Five Minutes' Shock Report Highlights Hidden Danger Facing 80,000 in UK

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

A WOMAN who suffered a cardiac arrest after living with an undetected heart problem for years has been highlighted in a shock report revealing how 80,000 young people in the UK are at risk of undiagnosed heart conditions.

[​IMG]

According to new research by the British Heart Foundation, an estimated 80,000 people aged between 15 to 25 may have a faulty gene, which leaves them at high risk of developing heart disease - but they do not know they have it.

People can live with undiagnosed heart conditions for years and not realise their state, until they have a cardiac arrest.

According to new research by the British Heart Foundation, an estimated 80,000 people aged between 15 to 25 may have a faulty gene, which leaves them at high risk of developing heart disease - but they do not know they have it.

People can live with undiagnosed heart conditions for years and not realise their state, until they have a cardiac arrest.

"I was lifeless and dead for five minutes, and I understand the doctors were working tirelessly to bring me back to life.

"I said I felt faint, and when [my housemate] turned round to check on me, I was on the floor. She thought I was messing around at first."

Ms D'Alesio was in a coma for three days before waking up in hospital.

Doctors diagnosed her with Long QT syndrome, a condition that can potentially cause fast and chaotic heartbeats.

In some cases, the heart can beat erratically for long periods of time and lead to sudden death.

Ms D'Alesio added: "I was crying because I was so confused.

"At my age, I thought, 'No way.' I was 24 for goodness sake.

"You think of older people dropping dead because of frail hearts or heart disease, but not young people.

[​IMG]

Prof Elijah Behr, a leading heart doctor at St George's, University of London told BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that even though heart defects are rare, "when you add them together they actually add up to a significant number".

He added: "In fact, around 1,500 young people a year die suddenly in the UK from these inherited heart conditions. And that's the challenge - to identify those individuals and try to prevent those deaths."

Ms D'Alesio said she was "lucky" to still be alive.

She added: "I really want young people to be aware that this could happen to them. heart disease doesn't discriminate.

"I say 'yes' to the random outings my friends invite me to, because I never know if or when it could happen again and kill me this time.

"I just live life to the fullest now, I'm lucky to be alive."

Source

Add Reply