centered image

Is Work-Life Balance a Reality For Physicians?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, May 27, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

These days, there’s no such thing as work-life balance for physicians. For them, life is more of a work-life puzzle – trying desperately to fit time with family and friends, for hobbies, or any activity that occurs while not staring at an EHR into the tiny slivers of time not occupied by medicine.

It is a daily struggle that grows into weeks, months and sometimes even years. And for some, the struggle leads to stress, which leads to lack of motivation to continue practicing medicine.

Starting with this issue, we want to help. More specifically, physicians want to help each other.

Within the pages of this magazine (thank you for dedicating a sliver of your time to us, by the way), are the winners of our 2017 Physician Writing Contest. This year, we focused on achieving work-life balance.

[​IMG]

We received nearly 100 essays from doctors who want to share their own struggles, and, perhaps more importantly, share strategies for others to learn from in their own quest for balance.

Now, I’m not naïve enough to think that solutions to finding work-life balance are universal. There’s no one-size-fits all answer to the question: “How do I leave work behind and find time for myself?” It’s not that easy.

But there are others who are filling in the pieces of that work-life puzzle with family time, participation in sports, exercise and myriad other pursuits that have nothing to do with healthcare. Maybe, like Dr. Johnson, you can reclaim a day dedicated to yourself. Or, like Dr. Frank, you can enact a “personal tracking system” to ensure that work hours and home hours are duly accounted for.

Source

Add Reply