centered image

Job Interviews: Tips and Tricks!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rana El-Rakhawy, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Rana El-Rakhawy

Rana El-Rakhawy Famous Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

b45afc5e686fddbf414ea3777deee87d.jpg

Interviews can be tough, especially when you’re going through the stress of a new job search after graduating. Believe me I know. I just got out of school in January, and the search for a job that would pay enough that was actually in my field was higher than it should have been.

You go to university with the assumption that you will be able to obtain employment immediately out of school, even in an entry level position that at least pays enough to live. (Which is very hard in the city I currently live in. I pay 840 a month for my rent alone, thankfully it includes utilities, but it’s kind of a lot.) But you don’t only look for jobs when you have finished school. You look for jobs during the summer, part time, or even full time when you’re in school.

It’s stressful, and stress takes years off your life, so I want to make it easier.

It is apparently easier to get a job when you have a job, which I think is a little bit messed up. When you are talking to someone during an interview, do NOT ever put down your current/previous job. They will most likely ask you why you left that position. Don’t lie about why you left, but explain why you left in a way so that you are as respectable as possible to your previous position. If there didn’t feel like there was room for advancement, let the interviewer know that. It shows that you are dedicated to being with one company as long as there are advancement opportunities.

If a question is asked, and you haven’t experienced that situation, then state “I haven’t experience this, but if I did I would” and give as much of a detailed answer as you can. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. The reasoning behind this being super important is that some interviewers rate on a scale (kind of like a rubric) and the answers to questions have some checkboxes, and the scale will determine whether or not you are suitable for the position based on your answers. I’m sure there are a lot of places that do not rate this way and don’t have a sophisticated ratings system, but even so, answers like this mean you were prepared and ready for critical thinking.

So respect and critical thinking are two very important sections that you want to be well-versed on when going to an interview. Another thing you want to be properly prepared is your appearance. Usually, we would say to wear your best clothes, however, some people will take that as a tux or a ballgown. Please don’t wear a tux or ballgown to an interview. Personally, I try to wear a dress shirt and dress pants and a blazer. I think that’s fairly gender neutral for an interview. Business formal seems to be a-ok when it comes to interviews! A suit is alright if you wish too, or just a dress shirt and pants with a tie. This shows you are professional. I think it depends on the position you are applying for, however I know some people end up being interviewed in a casual environment. I still recommend this fancy dress because it shows you have dedication, and even if you are overdressed, make a joke about it and be comfortable.

The last thing I’ll recommend is to be comfortable and be yourself. I know, an interview will make you nervous, but you know what? Interviewers are nervous too! We have to make sure we explain everything right and ask the right questions and make you comfortable as well. Believe me we really don’t want to scare you or make you nervous!

Some topics to avoid when in an interview

“What’s in it for me” type of questions. Until it is brought up by the person interviewing you DO NOT ask about salary. This will normally be explained to you and can be negotiated. Lately when I have been explained the salary it is usually explained to me over the phone, when I am being phone interviewed. I am also unsure about asking about the hours of work, I would recommend looking up the company and seeing what their hours are and just expecting to work those. Availability is something that most likely will come up. This is something that you should be straight up about and not beat around the bush with. It is important to know if you are able to work the hours required, especially if you have another job, post secondary, or school classes. Often employers will work around these things if they want to hire you.

I think that’s essentially the end of my interview guide! If you have any questions about interviews and resume writing, feel free to comment on this post or send me a message!

I hope this helps some of you find employment!

I’ve attached a video of the most awkward interview I’ve ever seen, so don’t worry, nobody will act like that! (No copyright infringement intended, this video belongs to the BBC)

Source

Add Reply