centered image

centered image

knee issues

Discussion in 'Hospital' started by Inspirer, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Inspirer

Inspirer Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Portugal

I'm not a doctor, but I consider a health-conscious and like to learn more health.

As so, I feel somewhat embarassed to pose my query, but for my own sake, I will.

I've been a jogger for almost 8 years, and for the first 6 years I never sustained any injuries.

I got injured the first time about 18 months, and even my Achilles tendon took about 6 months to heal, it wasn't such a big deal.

However, my last injury, which happened last month was more serious.

I had already run 10km several times, including 3 days before (in the previous week I ran twice that distance), but on that day I felt I should have stopped by the 4th lap (or just after I had completed 6km), but because I shed a few kilos, I strained to run another laps.

But as I finally finished my run, I felt complete lack of stability in both legs.

For 5 days, I couldn't even straighten my legs, and on the 6th day, my knees were still in pain, athough I could already straighten my legs for brief moments.

On the 7th day, I was finally feeling better, and almost recovered.

I spoke of this to someone who said that this was just exhaustion and not serious.

In the following I thought I was already alright, and resuming running, initially only 6km, and I had not problems.

However, in the following week, I attempted again to run, not 10km, but 8km. and I again my knee became sore.

I can straighten my legs, but feel weekness and pain from the knees down.

I now intend to take much better care of myself.

So, I would like what type of injury might I sustained.

And am I still expected to make a full reccovery?

Also, could this bring issues in the future?

By the way, I'm 49 years of age and female.

I thank you very much in advance for your attention

Add Reply

2. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Hi, it is a good thing you take care of yourself and perform physical activity regularly. Hope you feel better soon.

Now for your condition, what type of injury did you have? Did you twist your knees in any way and fell? In other words, explain how you were injured?

Another reasons, it could be muscle fatigue due to lack of pre-run warming up, not training your legs before the run day, or the lack of good stretched after the run. It also could be due to lack of good hydration during the run or after. All these factors could be the reason only if

Faculty Of Medicine likes this.
  3. Inspirer

Inspirer Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Portugal

Thank you very much for your reply.

In response to your question, no.

I did not twist my knees, or fall.

Since after the 4th lap (or after ompleting 6km), I felt I lacked the energy or stamina to continue, I also think I might have run at a slower stride (or pushing any strength I still had on that day to the limit…)

I d

4. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Hi again, well as long as you have not fell or twisted your knees, we are not worried about knee joint injury. Instead here we will be thinking to warm up before the run, stay hydrated before, through out and after the run, also you could have a snack 20 min before running, such as a banana or an apple. All these things should keep you going. If you feel like your pace is slower than usual, then just try to make it faster slowly.