free-downloads CSEVideos

Man who mistook SUPERGLUE for ear drops is left deaf for a week

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by dr.omarislam, Nov 4, 2017.

  1. dr.omarislam

    dr.omarislam Golden Member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2017
    Messages:
    2,046
    Likes Received:
    33
    Trophy Points:
    4,075
    Gender:
    Male
    Living In:
    Egypt

    • Wan Song had been recovering from an ear infection and had ear drops
    • He reached for the ear drops in the dark and put them in but felt burning
    • Ran to hospital in his pyjamas after realising he had used superglue
    • Doctors waited a week for the glue to dry before removing it with tweezers


    A Chinese man was left deaf for an entire week after accidentally mistaking a bottle of superglue for ear drops.

    Wan Song, 45, had been recovering from an ear infection and had been prescribed ear drops.

    One night last week, he felt his ear itching and reached for the bottle of ear drops, squeezing the solution into his ear canal.

    Minutes later, he felt burning, and after inspecting the bottle was horrified to discover he had actually applied a strong adhesive known as 502 Glue into his left ear.

    [​IMG]

    Wan Song, 45, was left deaf for an entire week after accidentally mistaking a bottle of superglue for ear drops

    [​IMG]

    Mr Song ran to hospital in his pyjamas and with his face and hands covered in glue. Pictured is Mr Song's inner ear covered in glue

    [​IMG]

    Mr Song was horrified to discover he had put an adhesive known as 502 glue into his ear instead of drops

    He ran to the emergency room of the First People’s Hospital of Hangzhou, in the eastern province of Zhejiang, China, in his pyjamas, Zhejiang Online reports.

    His ear, face and hands were all covered with a thick layer of glue, doctors said.

    Panicked, he asked them whether he would go deaf.

    Having read online that a solution of formaldehyde could dissolve the glue, he then asked doctors if they should apply it.

    However, Dr Li Yong, an ear, nose, and throat specialist at the hospital told him this was a bad idea - and decided to monitor him for a week instead.

    Dr Li said the mucous membrane in Mr Song’s ear would secrete fluids to form a protective layer between the adhesive and his eardrum.

    And he warned that peeling off the glue off too soon could cause the eardrum to rupture.

    A week later, Mr Song returned to the hospital, with the glue now dry and loose in his ear.

    He told doctors he had been a 'nervous wreck' waiting to see if he would be able to hear again.

    [​IMG]

    Dr Li Yong, of the First People’s Hospital of Hangzhou, China, told Mr Song that removing the glue before it was dry could lead to it rupturing his ear drum

    [​IMG]

    Dr Yong removed the lump of dried glue a week later, and Mr Song was left with no major injuries

    To his delight, medics removed the lump of glue with tweezers easily, and Mr Song praised them for their good advice.

    He was left with no major injuries following his ordeal.

    The story comes after a survey last week revealed the strangest items dentists have found in patients' mouths.

    These included a tomato seed sprouting in dentures to multiple sweet wrappers in one person's mouth.

    One dentist found a whole piece of gherkin, while another was bemused to discover a suspicious, wiry, black hair.

    Others included a fishing fly and wads of wet tissue paper, used to block a hole in a patient's palate as a makeshift prosthesis.


    Source
     

    Add Reply

Share This Page

<