centered image

centered image

Manicurist Spots Black Line On Client’s Nail, Makes Her Go To Doctor After Guessing It’s Cancer

Discussion in 'Oncology' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

One of my favorite things to do after a long week at work is pamper myself. I head out to the main street in my area and go to my favorite nail salon.

I usually grab a coffee on my way, then I sit and enjoy a mani-pedi.

Most people think getting a manicure or pedicure is relaxing — you’re letting someone else take care of your needs for a little bit, and all you have to do is sit back and let them work.

Since many of us choose to do our nails at home, getting them professionally done feels incredible.

One woman who recently treated herself to a manicure was shocked when her manicurist informed her that she might have a life-threatening disease.

Jean Skinner, the manicurist, started the process normally, but when she noticed her customer had a black line down the middle of her nail, she knew something was wrong.

After the incident, Jean posted what happened on Facebook, where her post went viral.

Within 10 days, her post had over 5,400 reactions.

ean wrote:

I had a walk-in nail client a couple weeks ago.

She had been going to the “NAILS” type salons for years.

She had a straight dark vertical stripe down her nail. She said as soon as she sat down — I need a color dark enough to cover this stripe

The nail salons “diagnosed” her a few different ways.

Some said it was a lack of calcium. Some said it was hereditary. At least one had told her it was a blood blister.

This is melanoma!!! I did not want to frighten her but I told her she needed to see her doctor immediately!

She called me today to tell me that yes it was a very aggressive melanoma that has already spread to her lymph nodes!!

Her prognosis is not good! Please pay attention to abnormalities in your nail beds!!

Odd changes in your nails can very likely be nothing to worry about!

But sometimes it is an indication of a very serious disease. And please keep an eye on the nail beds — toes and fingers — of your elderly loved ones and your loved ones that aren’t physically able to notice changes in the nail beds!

Early diagnosis can make all the difference in the world!!!

According to the Mayo Clinic, you can get a hidden melanoma under a nail.

“Acral-lentiginous melanoma is a rare form of melanoma that can occur under a fingernail or toenail,” they write.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply