centered image

Md. Med Student Is 1st Black Woman to Become Neurosurgery Resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

31e6510a41e625aa8b2d908e270f32c0.jpg

Every month is black-history month, and Nancy Abu-Bonsrah, a young med student from Maryland, is proving just that: She has marked her spot in history as the first black woman to become a neurosurgery resident at the prestigious Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

As WJZ notes, last Friday was “Match Day” for thousands of medical students across the country, when students are paired up with universities for their residency and medical school programs. And Abu-Bonsrah is breaking glass ceilings with her match. The talented med student is originally from Ghana but came to the United States at age 15. She attended high school in Columbia, Md., before studying biochemistry at Mount St. Mary’s University. She finished up her medical degree at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. On Facebook she called the match “an honor and a privilege.”

“I am very much interested in providing medical care in underserved settings, specifically surgical care. I hope to be able to go back to Ghana over the course of my career to help in building sustainable surgical infrastructure,” she told WJZ.

Source

Add Reply