centered image

centered image

Medical Mnemonic Series: Antiblotics Cheat Sheet

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Lets Enjoy Medicine, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Lets Enjoy Medicine

Lets Enjoy Medicine Well-Known Member

"The trouble with being a hypochondriac these days is that the antibiotics have cured all the good diseases."

- Caskie Stinnet
    Prescribing antibiotics is one of the most basic things a physician does... which is why it's so embarrassing when I am often unsure what to give for certain infections. Now I can memorize a few protocols for acute devastating infections or throw a Z-pack at every respiratory complaint I see, but it wouldn't be good medicine. We need to focus our antibiotic treatment to the narrowest effective coverage.

[​IMG]

However, doing this is not an easy task. There's a lot to think about:
    • What bacteria are common for this infection?
    • Do we need to cover for the uncommon causes?
    • What antibiotics cover the bacteria we're targeting?
    • Does the patient have any allergies to medicines? Sulfa?
    • Any renal problems? Side effects? Etc?
    Luckily, after doing a rotation in the Infectious Disease department at our hospital I feel a lot more confident on my recommendations. Not necessarily because I inherently know what to prescribe, but rather because of this handy chart. Our attending helped us workout a simple cheat-sheet that I now keep on my phone for easy access. It has undergone a few revisions, and some re-formatting, but I think that it can be a useful aid throughout your rotations/intern year. Here is the full chart:

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHICH ANTIBIOTICS TO USE? LET US KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!

Add Reply