centered image

centered image

MRCP Part 2 Advice

Discussion in 'PLAB' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I passed MRCP PART 2 in first attempt with a decent score of 616.

I cleared part 1 (758) last year January 2019. I was supposed to give the part 2 in March 2020 and I was very concerned about the gap between two exams, which got further extended due to covid.

I Studied pastest over 1.5 months for part 1 which I found to be very useful for the exam.

For part 2 also, despite friends around doing passmedicine, I took subscription only for Pastest due to good experience in previous exam and also because I did not have time to do two resources.

I studied Pastest once before March exam, but it got cancelled last minute.

Now for the October diet, I refreshed the Pastest Q bank and did it all over again in a month and half. I found it easier to do it this time as it was a sort of revision.

4 days prior to exam.. I somehow decided to go through PDF of passmedicine and did 3 systems over 2 days. I found a lot of new topics/questions and was so worried that I won’t be able to do passmed. And I should have listened to my friends. But no one should ever open a new resource 4 days before exam. DONT DO IT

However, last 2 days before exam..I just revised the Pastest and went for exam

In the exam, I realized it was a very difficult exam, a lot of new questions I had never seen before and I couldn’t even guess the answers for so many questions. I was numb after the exam, totally baffled with what I had just seen !

Some questions looked similar to Pastest but they were not repeats, they were similar concepts.

I had absolutely no hopes of passing but thank god, those 1000+ refresh attempts on website ultimately loaded a positive PASS result.

My advice to those who are preparing -
    - The concepts you made during MBBS come handy during this prep. Build well on those.

- Make PASTEST your primary resource because in both parts, I found the questions to be very well framed, very similar to actual exam and also to the point explanations which allow you to focus on actual facts, not big paragraphs which dilute the information.

- Take screenshots of important questions and explanations. Makes it easier to revise in the end.

- Have confidence in your preparation and give the exam with a smile on your face.

- ITS NOT THE NUMBER IF QUESTIONS/ HOW MANY NOTES/QUESTION BANKS YOU REVISE. NOT THE NUMBER OF MONTHS YOU INVEST... ITS THE QUALITY OF TIME YOU SPEND.

- DO JUST ONE RESOURCE BUT DO IT WELL !

PS. I passed my MBBS in 2010 and MD SKIN IN 2015. I am a full time practicing dermatologist.

It indeed was difficult and nerve wrecking, going back to Medicine for these exams but I enjoyed it and thankfully the results are in my favour

Next big hurdle is PACES, let’s see what’s in store

By Pallavi Ailawadi

Add Reply