centered image

My Personal Experience Passing the MSRA Exam with a High Score +550

Discussion in 'UKMLA (PLAB)' started by Bruno, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Bruno

Bruno Famous Member

Medical Student
    Practicing medicine in:
    Brazil

As a junior doctor working in the NHS, I recently tackled one of the most challenging milestones in my career: the Multi-Specialty Recruitment Assessment (MSRA) exam. Achieving a score above 550 was no easy feat, but through meticulous planning, hard work, and a bit of strategic studying, I made it. Here’s a detailed account of my journey, the resources I used, and how I managed to balance preparation with my demanding job.

Early Preparation: Building a Strong Foundation
    Understanding the Exam Format
    • MSRA Components: The MSRA consists of two parts – the Professional Dilemmas (PD) section and the Clinical Problem Solving (CPS) section. Understanding the format and type of questions was my first step.
    • Initial Research: I started by researching the exam structure, scoring system, and key areas of focus. This helped me identify my strengths and areas that needed improvement.
    Gathering Study Resources
    • Books: I invested in several high-yield books that were highly recommended by colleagues and online forums. Key resources included:
      • "Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine": This was my go-to for clinical problem-solving questions.
      • "Medical Ethics and Law: The Core Curriculum" by Dominic Wilkinson: Essential for tackling the Professional Dilemmas section.
    • Online Question Banks: I subscribed to Passmedicine, which provided a vast array of practice questions closely resembling the actual exam. Additionally, I used BMJ OnExamination for more diverse question types.
    Creating a Study Plan
    Long-Term Preparation
    • Monthly Goals: I divided my study plan into monthly goals. For the first two months, I focused on building a strong foundation in clinical knowledge and medical ethics.
    • Daily Routine: On weekdays, I dedicated 1-2 hours after work to study, and on weekends, I increased this to 4-5 hours. Consistency was key.
    Intensive Review
    • Question Banks: Three months before the exam, I ramped up my preparation by focusing heavily on question banks. I aimed to complete at least 50 questions a day, reviewing explanations thoroughly.
    • Mock Exams: I scheduled bi-weekly mock exams using online resources to simulate the exam environment and track my progress.
    Balancing Work and Study
    Managing Study Leave
    • Study Leave: I strategically took three days of study leave just before the exam. This allowed me to consolidate my knowledge and focus intensively without work distractions.
    • Supportive Work Environment: My supervisors and colleagues were incredibly supportive, allowing me to swap shifts and manage my time effectively.
    Support from Family and Friends
    • Family Support: My family played a crucial role in my success. They provided emotional support, helped with household chores, and ensured I had a quiet study environment.
    • Study Group: I joined a study group with a few colleagues. We met weekly to discuss difficult topics, share resources, and motivate each other.
    The Night Before the Exam
    Final Preparations
    • Review and Relaxation: The night before the exam, I reviewed my notes one last time, focusing on key points and mnemonics. I avoided cramming to keep my mind clear.
    • Healthy Routine: I had a nutritious dinner, did some light exercise, and practiced mindfulness to manage anxiety.
    Sleep and Rest
    • Good Night’s Sleep: Ensuring I got a full night’s sleep was crucial. I set an early bedtime and avoided screens to help me relax.
    Exam Day: Staying Calm and Focused
    Morning Routine
    • Early Start: I woke up early, had a balanced breakfast, and reviewed a few flashcards to get my mind into gear.
    • Positive Mindset: I reminded myself of my preparation and kept a positive mindset, focusing on doing my best rather than the outcome.
    At the Exam Centre
    • Arrival: I arrived at the exam centre well ahead of time to avoid any last-minute stress.
    • Staying Calm: I used deep-breathing exercises to stay calm and focused before the exam began.
    The Exam Experience
    Professional Dilemmas (PD) Section
    • Strategy: For the PD section, I focused on understanding the scenarios fully before answering. I used the elimination method to narrow down choices and selected the most ethically sound options.
    • Time Management: I managed my time carefully, ensuring I didn’t spend too long on any one question.
    Clinical Problem Solving (CPS) Section
    • Clinical Knowledge: My extensive practice with question banks paid off here. I applied clinical reasoning skills and used systematic approaches to answer the questions.
    • Pacing: I paced myself to ensure I had enough time to review my answers at the end.
    Post-Exam Reflections
    Immediate Thoughts
    • Relief and Reflection: After the exam, I felt a mixture of relief and exhaustion. I took some time to reflect on the questions and felt confident about my performance.
    Waiting for Results
    • Staying Occupied: To manage the anxiety of waiting for results, I stayed occupied with work and hobbies.
    • Results Day: Receiving my score of over 550 was a moment of immense joy and validation of my hard work.
    Tips for Future Candidates
    Strategic Studying
    • Start Early: Begin your preparation well in advance to avoid last-minute stress.
    • Use Multiple Resources: Diversify your study materials to cover all aspects of the exam comprehensively.
    • Practice, Practice, Practice: Regular practice with question banks is essential for success.
    Managing Work and Study
    • Plan Study Leave: Take study leave strategically close to the exam date for intensive preparation.
    • Seek Support: Don’t hesitate to seek support from family, friends, and colleagues.
    Exam Day Strategies
    • Stay Calm: Practice relaxation techniques to manage exam day anxiety.
    • Time Management: Manage your time effectively during the exam to ensure you can answer all questions.
    IMG_5136.jpg

Add Reply
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2024