centered image

New Fines For Deliberately Coughing, Sneezing And Spitting On Frontline Workers In Queensland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mahmoud Abudeif, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

People who deliberately spit, sneeze or cough on frontline workers will be fined up to $13,000, the Queensland Government has announced.

[​IMG]
    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said fines of up to $1,300 could be issued on the spot, while matters that go to court could lead to a $13,000 fine.

Ms Palaszczuk said introducing the new public health emergency order was "absolutely the right thing to do".

She said it would help protect healthcare, retail, food delivery, transport, council and airport workers; health department, police, fire and ambulance officers; taxi, bus and rideshare drivers and teachers.

Ms Palaszczuk said it was "disgusting" some people had been taking their frustrations out on essential workers.

"It's absolutely disgusting to think that some people are putting other peoples' lives at risk," she said.

"In this environment, can I please ask people to be respectful. Respect is the key here."

Health Minister Steven Miles said the fines were a new public health emergency order "to support our frontline workers".

"They should certainly never be threatened with being deliberately infected with COVID-19," he said.

"During a pandemic, a cough can be used as a weapon. A sneeze can be as dangerous as a knife. Spitting is of course always disgusting.

"And this new order will allow us to protect all of our essential workers from deliberate coughing, sneezing, and spitting."

Mr Miles said there had been cases of hospital staff, paramedics, retail staff and nurses being threatened with being coughed upon.

"We are all reliant now on those retail workers to supply us with the goods that we need," he said.

"I want to send a strong signal to the community that those workers should never feel threatened, and I want to send a signal to those workers that we support them, that we care about them."

Source

Add Reply