centered image

New Hobbies in Med School

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I have always been interested in a lot of different things. This is part of the reason that I am so drawn to emergency medicine. I find myself going stir crazy if I do the same thing over and over again. Even in med school, when I thought I would have no time for anything except school, I found myself picking up new hobbies throughout my two years.

When I say hobbies, I really just mean doing anything besides medicine. I don’t know if you can call learning a new language or reading history books ‘hobbies.’ However, I did discover more and more things that I find interesting. You definitely need a break from medicine when you are studying it 24/7. Struggling with feeling like I was giving up my life for medicine, I decided to pick up hobbies that would allow me to grow as a person. I did not want these four years to be a stand-still on my personal growth.

In the past two years I have learned a lot of new recipes, kept up my interest in wine, began to pick up a few new languages (still very basic, but I am trying!), improved my writing skills, traveled, started up ballet again, and traveled a lot to learn about different places and cultures.

To be clear, I am not really ‘proficient’ in any of these new ‘hobbies’ that I have picked up, but I am much happier broadening my horizon outside of medicine. The more I live life I discover that my motto really is jack of all trades, master of none (emphasis on the later).

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply