centered image

New Jersey Right-to-Die Legislation Signed Into Law

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

New Jersey has become the seventh state to enact a law allowing terminally ill patients to end their lives.

Gov. Phil Murphy signed the Aid in Dying for the Terminal Act on Friday. It goes into effect in August, reported The Associated Press.

[​IMG]

The measure passed the Assembly with a 41-33 vote and the Senate by a 21-16 margin.

While Murphy indicated he would support the bill, the Catholic politician conceded he had mixed feelings about the legislation.

“I have concluded that, while my faith may lead me to a particular decision for myself, as a public official I cannot deny this alternative to those who may reach a different conclusion,” wrote Murphy. “I believe this choice is a personal one and, therefore, signing this legislation is the decision that best respects the freedom and humanity of all New Jersey residents.”

Under the law, only patients with a prognosis of six months or less to live can receive the medication to end life.

The law also requires that two doctors agree with the request and that the patient is an adult resident of New Jersey, who can make such a decision and who voluntarily expresses a wish to die.

Patients must request the medication twice and be offered the opportunity to change their minds. At least one of the requests must be in writing and signed by two witnesses — and one of them can’t be entitled to any portion of the patient’s estate or be a relative.

Oregon was the first state to provide an end-of-life option back in 1997.

In addition to the District of Columbia, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Vermont and Washington State have similar laws on the books.

Source

Add Reply