centered image

New Orleans Councilman: 'I'd Rather Have Students Dumb And Alive Than Have Them Educated And Dead'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mahmoud Abudeif, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

The plan to reopen schools in New Orleans was discussed by council members Monday.

[​IMG]

Parents and teachers say the biggest question regarding reopening schools is if it is safe.

For the month of August, kids will be doing distance learning.

School leaders said they will decide if in-person instruction can start after Labor Day.

According to school leaders, they have ordered massive amounts of masks and sanitizer to keep kids safe.

The council also addressed concerns from parents who do not have access to laptops or Wi-Fi.

School district leaders said they have made new orders to ensure kids have access to internet and computers.

Representatives for the United Teachers of New Orleans voiced their concerns when it comes to safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

"This is why I put on you all, what is your tolerance for the risk of death for children and or our citizens?" said Dr. Adrienne Dixson. "That is the question you all have to answer."

Councilman Jay Banks answered:

"I don't have a tolerance for it and I have been clear on this from the beginning," Banks said. "I don't think putting kids in school is a good idea."

Banks said he understands the need for kids to socialize, but said the situation isn't ideal.

"I would rather have them dumb and alive than have them educated and dead," said Banks.

The Superintendent for Orleans Parish Schools was at the meeting as well.

He does stress that that they are working closely with the community, staff and students and engaging with them on making the best decision possible.

Source

Add Reply