centered image

centered image

Nurses Should Be Banned From Chatting To Allow Patients To Sleep Properly, Union Says

Discussion in 'Hospital' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

Silence on the wards, hospital staff are told: Union says nurses should be banned from chatting and even wearing squeaky shoes to allow patients to sleep properly

• Royal College of Nursing is urging hospitals to display 'quiet please' signs
    • Also encouraging all hospitals to install quiet slow-closing doors and bins
    • Claims patients deprived of sleep are at higher risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, constant pain, aggression and delayed wound healing

Nurses should be banned from chatting loudly at night, wearing squeaky shoes or waking patients up for checks to allow them to properly sleep, according to their union.

Members of the Royal College of Nursing are also urging hospitals to install slow-closing doors and bins, display ‘quiet please’ signs and hand round earplugs for patients at night.

They say patients deprived of sleep are at higher risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, constant pain, aggression and delayed wound healing.

[​IMG]

Members of the Royal College of Nursing are also urging hospitals to install slow-closing doors and bins, display 'quiet please' signs and hand round earplugs for patients at night

Debbie Simmonds, from the RCN’s Suffolk branch said: ‘Sleep is a basic human need and fundamental to the basics of mental and physical health.

‘We know how important it is for patients to get a good night’s sleep yet we know that hospitals are getting busier and the patients we are looking after are getting more poorly.

Addressing the RCN’s annual conference in Liverpool, she added: ‘Clinical noise depriving you of sleep creates an increased risk of hypertension, ischaemic heart disease, delayed wound healing, aggressive behaviour and reduced pain control.

‘Common sources of noise reported by patients regularly includes staff conversation, patient alarms and pagers.

‘Other common sources include squeaky drawers, bins, telephones, noisy shoes.

‘Local initiatives have included slow-closing doors and bin lids, use of ear plugs for patients, bleeps set to vibrate and telephones with their volume reduced.

‘There are also simple signs telling people it’s night-time and patients are trying to sleep.’

In March, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals emailed all staff telling them to wear shoes with soft soles at night and to only talk behind closed doors.

[​IMG]

In March, Royal Sussex County Hospital (above) emailed all staff telling them to wear shoes with soft soles at night and to only talk behind closed doors. It followed a similar initiative at Western Sussex hospitals

It followed a similar initiative at Western Sussex hospitals the previous year which had resulted in a drop in complaints about noise from patients.

Bethann Siviter, a nurse from the RCN’s South Birmingham RCN branch, who suffers from a chronic condition which means she is often in hospital, said: ‘I can tell you the bane of my existence is (nurses saying) ‘you should have seen what they were doing during the day...’, ‘oh the security guards are just coming by we should have a chat with them’ - they’re really loud.

‘How can I trust a nurse to help me with my pain if she is too clueless to know that when I’m sick in bed the last thing I want to hear is ‘if you go down to the canteen can you get me two bacon sarnies?’ - that’s the last thing you want to hear when you are in bed.”

Maura Buchanan, the former president of the RCN said: ‘The source of most complaints I ever received as a manager were about nurses talking too loud and even listening to the radio at night, waking patients up for observations, which sometimes you have to do but sometimes you don’t, even waking patients up to give them sleeping tablets.

‘The solution is easy, keep quiet.'

Source

Add Reply