centered image

Orthopedic Surgeons - Do you Lose All your Medicine Knowledge?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Riham, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Riham

Riham Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

I'm a recent convert to the specialty. I'll be applying for residency next year.

However, at times I still have doubts. The time I spent on ortho was the best part of my clerkship: I love the variety, the MSK anatomy, the OR and how well your patients do after.

But - I also find that I like a lot of other things: for example I had a great time on my emerg rotation. I got very tired of chest pain, drug seekers and people who just weren't sick - but I didn't hate it! Same with many other medicine type rotations. The biggest thing I liked - the fact that you KNOW stuff - if a patient asks you a question about their meds or condition you know enough general info to be able to guide them.

A lot of the orthopods I've met at my hospital know very little medicine. Many of the residents get me to read the ECGs for patients since I'm better than they are! I find that is the only little grain of doubt in my mind: will I get bored and be unsatisfied if I don't have those skills anymore?

Current orthos - any input? Can you still keep that knowledge? Also - do you ever get...bored? Of the repetitive things like joints after joints after joints?

Add Reply