centered image

Quit Calling Nurses Heroes And Please Be One For Us. We’re Really, Really Tired.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mahmoud Abudeif, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This post was orinigally posted on Reddit.com as a discussion by u/OneEyedWinn

[​IMG]

I’m not going to pretend to speak for every nurse in Dallas. This is just me. Lately, I’ve been thanked for what I do and been called a hero. And at first I felt appreciated, but now it’s getting old. And here’s why.

I’m just a regular person. I have a husband and a kid and we live in an apartment. Our kid goes to day care and my husband works full time from home. I work 5 days a week. I’m JUST LIKE YOU. Which means I’m trying to parent, work, and get regular, normal everyday things done. Like laundry. And food. Just like you. Only now my job is more overwhelming that it’s ever been. Until 2020, there was basically nothing at my job that threatened my well-being (or my family’s).

I took two weeks off from work because I am completely outnumbered and overwhelmed. Every phone call gives me a jerk of adrenaline that doesn’t fade throughout the day. Every positive case needs education, counseling, reporting to the health department, and sometimes contact tracing. People get mad at me because I follow the rules. People get mad because they don’t think the rules are strict enough. Some people think I have the power to tell others what to do and how to live their lives. Spoiler alert: I don’t. I administer covid tests. I drive through neighborhoods after work and see kids playing in large groups without masks outside.

I’m not your hero. I just happen to be a person who has to deal with the consequences of this pandemic. I’m taking some time off to take care of myself so that I can take care of others again.

So here’s my ask in the spirit of taking care of myself. If you’re looking for a hero, I need it to be you. Because I can’t do it right now. I need you to step up and stop going out to eat. You know what I miss? Brunch at Toulouse. We ordered from there this morning and when my husband, kid, and I drove to pick it up, it was packed. Sure, every other table was empty, but c’mon guys. Obviously, we took it home, but my steak was cold by the time I ate it and I didn’t want to microwave the medium-rare out of it.

Stop going out to eat. Stop meeting for book club without masks. Stop going places while you’re waiting for your PCR test results to come back. Stop having/going to large weddings. Wear masks around your family that you don’t live with. Yes, even in your houses. Make your kids wear masks at sports/activities. Trust me, they can breathe. No, they’re not “too hot”. It’s not 100 degrees out and everywhere else is air conditioned. I take care of kids who have asthma every day and they wear their masks for 8 hours a day at school like champions. You know who can’t breathe? People on ventilators.

We had the saddest, loneliest Christmas this year without my parents and sisters. I cried. Then, I went back to work and learned that many people did not take any precautions whatsoever. That felt good.

So yeah, I’m angry. I’m overwhelmed and tired.

Please. I need for someone else to be the hero for a bit. Being a hero isn’t something special only a few people can do. We all have it in us if the situation demands it of us. So please, dig deep—and stay home. Be my hero and stay safe and well.

*I’m not looking for praise AT ALL. If you have anything to comment, please let me know that you’ll take some of this burden for me. I’m cashing in all the “let me know if there’s anything I can do for you” offers right here. On the Internet. If somebody gives you crap for following CDC guidelines, just let your people know you’re doing it for this one tired nurse on Reddit and I will be so grateful. Also, get vaccinated. Sign up on the Dallas Health Department website if you can. Again, feel free to use me as your excuse when your fam/friends are all iffy about it.

Thank you for reading this. I just saw the party video post earlier and thought my thoughts were more of a post than a comment.

And no, I can’t just quit my job. You’d be surprised how many people think that all nurses can just do that. Plus, I like my job a whole lot when it’s not a pandemic!

Please stay safe. Please be a hero to us healthcare workers. We need you.

Source

Add Reply

2. Nofal

Nofal Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Jordan
    الكادر الطبي جميعهم كانو ابطالا

Mahmoud Abudeif likes this.
  3. Mahmoud Abudeif

Mahmoud Abudeif Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt