centered image

centered image

Selma Blair Gives First Interview After Reveling Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by Hadeel Abdelkariem, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hadeel Abdelkariem

Hadeel Abdelkariem Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

During the interview, the actor explained that she's currently experiencing spasmodic dysphonia on account of her MS, a disorder which causes the muscles that control a person’s voice to go into periods of spasm.

Prior to her diagnosis, Blair sought out the help of fellow actor Michael J. Fox, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991 at the age of 29.

"He really helped me, and I was like, I have Michael J. Fox's email now," Blair joked with Roberts.

[​IMG]

On days when Blair is particularly struggling with her MS symptoms, she explained to Roberts that she gets into bed and doesn't move.

"You just have to, you can't do it all," the actor stated. "It's fine to feel really crappy, and my son gets it, and now I've learnt not to feel guilty."

Prior to the Good Morning America interview, Blair posted a photo of herself with Roberts on Instagram, expressing her excitement in the caption about the interview, which will air on Tuesday 26 February.

"This was a pleasure. A gift of love and support to all of us from @goodmorningamerica @robinrobertsgma and me," she wrote in the image's caption.

"Meeting and talking with #robinroberts was everything."

Roberts also shared a photo of the pair on Instagram, describing Blair as "incredible, talented and hilarious".

[​IMG]

Selma Blair makes first red carpet appearance since MS diagnosis

Blair made a powerful appearance at the Vanity Fair Oscars afterparty on Sunday 24 February, marking her first red carpet appearance since being diagnosed with MS.

While posing for photographers in an ethereal, chiffon gown by couture label Ralph and Russo, with a matching cape and a personalised cane, the actor appeared visibly emotional.

"It took a lot to come out here," she told reporters.

Blair has been lauded for her bravery and for raising awareness of those with disabilities.

"I cannot understate how much this would have meant for me to see in my late teens/early 20s," one person tweeted after seeing a portrait of Blair taken at the afterparty.

"I can't tell you how much it means now. Representation matters, and Selma Blair looks like a goddess."

More than 2.3 million people around the world are believed to be affected by MS, the National MS Society states.

However, as some symptoms may not be visible, the number of people affected by the chronic condition can only be estimated.

Source

Add Reply