centered image

centered image

Seven Inexpensive Ways to Increase Your Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Physiology' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

In 2011, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reported, that the average life expectancy for Americans is 78.7 years. heart disease, cancer, stroke, Alzheimer's Disease and accidents were the leading causes of death for Americans.

We all know that eating a diet low in saturated fat, and increasing fruits vegetables and whole grains is beneficial. In recent years however, additional and inexpensive methods have come to light, which when applied will keep us healthy, prevent death, and increase life span. Here are 10 I feel are very important.

1. Three items no home should be without.

Having a working smoke alarm, fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector in your home, will drastically reduce the chance of accidental death. Many people have perished, because they did not have one of these 3 items, in their home.l

In Roanoke Va., as I am sure in other localities, senior citizens and those of low income may qualify for free smoke alarms. Every year people die, because they did not have a smoke alarm, or the one they owned did not alert them. So please make sure you have one, and check the batteries often.

Many small fires could have been put out, plus damage or lives saved if a fire extinguisher was on hand. Kitchen cabinets, a range fan and ceiling of a home I used to live in had extensive damage because of a grease fire. If I had a fire extinguisher, I could have put out the flames a lot sooner.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, because there is no odor, thus making owning a carbon monoxide detector, a priority. Each winter, there are stories of individuals who went to sleep and never woke up. They died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

2. Protective Helmets

Wear helmets, when riding a bike, skying, or using a motorcycle or scooter. My youngest son drove a scooter to school his senior year in high school. He always made sure to wear his helmet. Statistics indicate, that 1000 people die each year in the United States because they were not wearing protective helmets.

3. Get moving,

Walking has been shown to improve life expectancy. It has been reported that for every minute we walk, we add up to 2 minutes to our lives. Walking outdoors has even more benefits. You get extra Vitamin D exposure from the sun, reduce stress and increase levels of the feel good hormone serotonin. Studies show that many adults have low vitamin D levels.

4. Ditch or decrease red meat.

Red meat is an excellent source of protein, however studies indicate that eating one large serving of red meat a day, (the size of a large fist) decreases our life expectancy by 13%. Protein can be obtained by eating nuts, seeds, peanut butter and soy products.

5. Stop smoking

Research shows that those who stop smoking cigarettes, may increase their life span up to 10 years. My grandmother stopped a pack a day habit in the early 1980s. She died in 2010 at age 91.Also, when you stop smoking, you will be able to breath easier and walk more.

6. Get plenty of H20

Drinking lots of water also increases lifespan. H20, helps lubricate joints, prevents fatigue, aids in digestion, and keeps our bodies hydrated. Eight glasses a day is what is recommended.

7. Make sure you receive enough sleep

Even the Almighty rested, on the 7th day. Research however, indicates that most Americans do not get the 7 hours of sleep that is required for a healthy lifestyle. Decades ago, television went off the air at 11:30 p.m. And most people went to bed after the news.

The Internet, and stores that are open 24/7 have hindered our sleep patterns. We have become a nation that is on the prowl day and night. Getting 7 hours of sleep most nights will improve our overall quality of life, and increase our lifespan.

Each of these 7, low cost or no cost tips alone has merit When combined, with a healthy lifestyle, will increase our chances of a long, healthy accident free life.

Read More :

Top 10 Countries With the Highest Life Expectancy

http://forum.facmedicine.com/threads/top-10-countries-with-the-highest-life-expectancy.8597/

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. Markell

Markell Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    you sound like an Adventist, are you?

3. ikram

ikram Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan