centered image

centered image

So, How Do I Stay Busy In Medical School?

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by dr.omarislam, Oct 20, 2017.

1. dr.omarislam

dr.omarislam Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

Medical school is hard. There is no denying that hard-set fact. However, in order to make it through with your sanity still intact, you need to look outside the classroom. Here’s how to stay busy in medical school.

The time you spend going through those basic science courses, organ systems, and patient cases is undoubtedly going to give you enough on your plate. However, I believe that it is a person’s interest beyond his or her core passion for learning the art of clinical practice that made them want to come to medical school. For most of us, it started when we took a hard look in the mirror and asked how we can make an impactful change in the world. You may have been someone who wanted to improve access to services and volunteered in the community or you might have worked at an HIV clinic to further detection and management of the ailment.

For me, health literacy and public education was my calling. As I went through high school and college, I gradually and surely began to witness a huge divide in what health care providers can tell their patients. Be it through counseling or direct prescriptions, there often seemed to be a deficit in receiving that same guidance by the patients. Part of the reason was a lack of clear communication and consideration from the provider and the other part was a lack of awareness from the patients.

So, as soon as I started my time as a first year medical school at Pitt Med, I began a medical podcast in an effort to inform and engage people on the most commonly known topics in medicine, ones that aid understanding of issues by the common populace. “The Pitt Med Hour” became a biweekly podcast series produced and furthered by medical students in an effort to raise the level of awareness of medical issues and move further towards a goal of greater literacy and education about the field of medicine at large. Today, we are in our second year of the podcast series, looking forward to recording on many more topics in the near future.

So whatever your area of passion may be, I am here to tell you that it is possible to make time for it even in medical school. At the end of the day, it will give you something to look forward to other than the usual humdrum of your studies and make you feel pretty good about continuing to encourage your passion for the people rather than just the medicine.

Source

Add Reply