centered image

Staying Healthy in Medical School And Residency

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, May 6, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

STAYING HEALTHY IN MEDICAL SCHOOL AND RESIDENCY

It’s not easy to be super healthy when you’re a brand new intern. Days are super busy (because I’m ridiculously inefficient) and when I come home, I’m hungry, tired, and just want to relax. I know life is a balance, and I don’t have to be the #1-most-healthiest-person-ever, but I do still want to eat well, exercise often, sleep as much as possible, and be happy.

Let’s start with eating well:

Even though Mayo provides lunch for residents every day, I still pack and bring my own lunch. I think it’s one of the little but powerful things I can do to stay healthy this year. I will eat more veggies, less processed carbs, less sugar, and more protein if I bring my own lunch. That’s basically guaranteed. I’ve been bringing lots of salads:

[​IMG]

These had fresh mozzarella cheese, bacon, lettuce, cucumbers, parsley, carrots, radishes, celery, tomatoes, and avocado,

[​IMG]

I have to shout out to Tara from Treble in the Kitchen for gifting me these amazing Tupperware. I love them so much! (your thank you note is coming soon I promise!!)

[​IMG]

I try to pack enough for lunch and dinner if I’m there on a call day which goes until 7 or 8 pm.

[​IMG]

Sometimes lunch is totally random like this mix of veggies, egg, chicken sausage, avocado, and sriracha.

[​IMG]

I’ve also made a few KILLER smoothies in the past few days:

[​IMG]

I blended up a peach, a frozen banana, kale, 1/4 avocado, almond milk, and 1/2 scoop protein powder. I was reluctant to try adding avocado, but after hearing so many people rave about it, I gave it a go. You really can’t taste the avocado, but it does help make the smoothie thicker. And, the extra fat keeps you full for longer.

****Smoothie TIP: Let your bananas ripen a bit longer than usual before you freeze them. I think super ripe bananas make for creamier and sweeter smoothies

[​IMG]

Since it’s summer, I’ve strayed away from my beloved oatmeal and favored greek yogurt with fruit.

[​IMG]

I really think Fage should sponsor my blog because I am their biggest fan ever. It’s my absolute favorite greek yogurt

[​IMG]

EXERCISE OFTEN:

Before residency I almost always worked out 5-6 times per week. Certainly, there were weeks that I would go without exercise, but in general I did something 5-6 times each week. This month, I’ve made it my goal to get at least 4 good workouts in every week. I don’t want to stress out about not making it to the gym every day, and I feel like 4 is a decent number. Maybe once I get the hang of this residency thing I will be able to fit in another day or two.

[​IMG]

There have been multiple mornings that I’ve worked out before work and gotten ready at the gym. I really love this routine because I get ready so much faster at the gym! Plus, my workout is already done for the day so when I get home from work I can really relax.

The only thing I don’t like about it is that I have to have my breakfast pre-made so that I can eat it at work after the gym. Greek yogurt and fruit works well but I don’t like my smoothies or oatmeal to sit around too long… so I have to find some other breakfast options that I can make the night before and eat later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love going to the gym because it’s an excuse to watch TV! I have a hard time making it to the classes at the gym; they are never early enough in the morning or late enough in the afternoon for me to get there in time! But, I have done several spin classes which I LOVE. Days off and days on night call are perfect for fitting in a spin class

[​IMG]

Since the weather has been so wonderful, I’ve forgone the gym for the past few days and run outside. There is a nice 4 mile loop by my house and I’ve run 3.5 miles and walked the last 1/2 twice now- I really like that routine! When get home I do a few pushups and ab exercises (we’re talking 10 push-up and 20 crunches- but hey! that’s something!!) I even saw a little bunny on my run!

[​IMG]

SLEEP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE:

This one is HARD!! I am normally a champion sleeper, but I’ve been struggling lately. I really function best with 7.5-8 hours of sleep each night. When I start getting less than that, I am notably fatigued throughout the day and often turn to extra caffeine or food to give me some energy. Getting enough sleep is such a priority for me, but I’ve noticed that even if I’m in bed for 8 hours, I only get about 7 hours of actual sleep.

I’ve been wearing my FitBit to track my sleep and it keeps telling me that for the first hour after I go to bed, I alternate between periods of being restless and awake. Kyle can attest to this as well. He says that I toss and turn for a while before finally going into a deeper sleep. Hmmmm. What’s my deal?

[​IMG]

See??

[​IMG]

This is unacceptable.

[​IMG]

I want my sleep to be as efficient as possible. Meaning, that if I’m in bed for 8 hours, I want 7 hours and 55 minutes of solid, restorative sleep. For the last few nights I took a melatonin before bed, and I think that helped a bit. I will keep trying and report back if I figure anything out!

And lastly, Be Happy:

I’m all for treating myself with afternoon coffees, frozen yogurt, manicures, and whatever else I need mentally/emotionally/spiritually.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there is it! Residency so far!

Any tips on good breakfasts to go? Does anyone else get ready at the gym in the morning? I’d love those tips too!

Source

Add Reply