centered image

centered image

Systemic Anatomy

Discussion in 'Anatomy' started by Timeless, May 6, 2016.

1. Timeless

Timeless Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Portugal

Hello!! I've got a situation...

I'm a first year medical student, and in my faculty (Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa) anatomy is taught by systems, instead of regions.
    Our evaluation (oral and written) also follows this method, as we're sometimes asked to list all the arteries or veins in the head, for example.

This means that most anatomy textbooks are a pain to study from because they explore anatomy in the regional fashion.

That's why I'm here, asking if you know any good textbook that explains anatomy by systems. Keep in mind that the teachers here are very thorough (our recommended textbook is the Anatomie Humaine by Rouvière, and I don't get a single verb in french). I was thinking of Gray's Anatomy, but it explains regional anatomy... I heard of the 38th edition (when it was still written by systems), but it doesn't follow the 1998 Terminologia Anatomica (which my teacher LOVES).

This anatomy class does not cover clinical anatomy (it is just in the next semester), so that is not a must...

Given all of this boring info, could you help me find a textbook which suits my needs?
    Thank you very much!!!

Add Reply
    Last edited: May 6, 2016

2. sevasti

sevasti Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Greece
    take a look to grace anatomy atlas !!

3. Rossul

Rossul Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Iraq
    Try Snell's clinical anatomy by systems

4. Dr. Valchanov

Dr. Valchanov Well-Known Member Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Bulgaria
    Hello
    There are two types of anatomy - system and topographic one. System anatomy is level one (for educational purposes), topographic - level two (clinical, internal, surgical etc). In the next year of your training you'll use your knowledge in the system anatomy in your dissection course, which is topographic (regional) based. I'm an anatomy assistant professor myself and I'm training medical students in this fashion. For your studies I can recommend those atlases:
    1. Sobotta with all variations - choose whatever Sobotta - based atlas you like, they're all good.
    2. Sinelnikov - good old school system anatomy atlas.
    3. Mark Nielsen - atlas of human anatomy - system anatomy cadaver atlas, absolute masterpiece of good dissection techniques and sleight of hand.
    4. Pernkopf atlas - also referred as "the nazi atlas". A lot of people died during WWII for this masterpiece of anatomical knowledge and wisdom. Very rare, very expensive.
    For textbooks use whatever your university offers. In my university we are recommending those three for the english-speaking students:
    1a. Drake RL, Vogl AW and Mitchell AWM. Gray's Anatomy for Students. 3rd ed., Churchill Livingstone, 2014.
    1b. Saladin K. Human Anatomy. 4th ed. Mc Grow-Hill, 2014.
    1c. Saladin K. Anatomy & Physiology: The Unity or Form and Function. 7th ed. Mc Grow-Hill, 2014.
    Good luck with your studies and never leave the anatomy behind, she is the base of everything you'll be doing for the rest of your life.

5. Timeless

Timeless Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Portugal
    Snell's Clinical Anatomy by Systems is way too superficial, my teachers require profund anatomical detail as encountered in Gray's Anatomy, for example. That being said, an atlas is not enough, but I'll take a look at the ones Dr. Valchanov recommended :) thank you!