centered image

centered image

The Best Shoes for the Operating Room

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

Sneakers

c5f41cd97eb0d002248989bbc5df3ae5.jpg

A perennial favorite, there certainly ain’t nothing wrong with a comfortable pair of running/walking shoes. They are versatile, breathable and if you get the right pair, comfortable. I find that these are great for rotations when I am running around a lot. However, for standing for a long time they leave something to be desired. I am sure if I tried enough styles I could probably come up with something that worked. However, there are better options out there. You also should consider the permeability factor. Shit (sometimes literally) can get nasty in the OR. The thought of that slowly seeping through the leather top sole of my sneakers and feeling my socks become increasingly moist is not something I look forward to.

Birkis

c24be8ca94ef0283c95567a963c30734.jpg

These aren’t as popular as some of the other options but they are my personal favorite. I could literally stand in these all day long without becoming uncomfortable. These are composed of a hard rubber outer sole containing the cork foot bed* that has made Birkenstock so famous.They are comfortable to walk around the hospital in too and are easy to slip in and out of. The one major issue they have is ventilation. My feet get hotter than two rats in a wool sock when I wear these things. By the end of the day there is often a noticeable dew on the inside. By the end of a 24 hour shift… let’s not go there. Suffice it to say with all that sweating going on they can get rather stinky. When they get real bad I would liken it to the smell of a diabetic foot wound. It IS NOT pleasant and Mrs. Survivor DO has instructed that these are to be left at the hospital or in the garage.

Danskos
    8bcf9a20c2528236c6350c2743e8ddd3.jpg

506b8b424356c80c6c116982476b9712.jpg

By far the most popular shoe in the hospital. There must be a reason right? They are liked by nurses, medicine attendings and surgeons alike. These things come in a variety of styles and I think Mrs. Survivor DO has one of each. She swears by them and has encouraged my to try a pair as well. I have resisted until this point because they are so friggen queer-looking. However, with the leather upper they are more breathable and the hard sole gives them excellent arch support. I think it may be time for me to break down and try a pair. It would be nice to be able to take off my shoes without clearing out the entire room!

The Jungle Moc
    c3382465e460767520c29607f6f9f824._.jpg

With a name like Jungle Moc these must be impressive shoes. My first thought was yes, impressively ugly. However, I kept seeing them around the hospital! I did a little research and they receive rave reviews from their supporters. For a shoe, which is very user dependent, to have 4.6/5.0 stars on Amazon is quite impressive. They come in a variety of colors from a grey suede to tan leather and come in any size imaginable including kids. In talking with my colleagues they say that they are breathable, easy to stand in and feel like slippers on your feet. All great things when looking for the best shoe for the operating room! These are high on my list for my next pair of shoes.

Calzuro

7284a6bc916d2e329c8289e0c3561c5d.png

I see a lot of these around the operating room mostly by the old school surgeons. Reportedly these clogs will last for 10 or more years even with steady use. People I have talked to say they are super comfortable for standing in the OR and not bad to mosey around the hospital in. The are available with or without ventilation holes so you will have to weigh which you prefer; the foot rot phenomenon I experienced with the Birkis or the possible seepage of bodily fluid while you innocently retract in the OR . I am thinking about trying these once the stench of my Birkis becomes intolerable. I’ll probably go with the vented version for the above reason.

Cowboy Boots

e796e87c17b3aa538dc0b038ee8c0029.jpg

I’ve seen a number of surgical, mostly trauma, attendings wearing these and I gotta say, I’d love to give it a shot. They are pretty badass and by all accounts comfortable. If you think about it, it makes sense. There are thousands of people who do much more manly work than we do that wear these every day. Additionally, they are slip on and breathable. But, and it’s a big but, there are certain things you shouldn’t do as a medical student and probably not until you are at least a senior resident. I feel like wearing cowboy boots in the OR is probably one of them! Maybe it would go over better in the Southwest but for now I think I will resist the urge to avoid becoming the resident known as “the one that wears the cowboy boots”.

There are obviously a lot more options than this. Socks are just as important to consider. What end up being the best shoes for the operating room for you comes down to a manner of personal preference but the options above are a great place to start. I will continue to vigilantly work my way through the list!

What do you wear on your feet in the hospital?

Read Also:

Why Do Doctors Wear Crocs?

The Best Exercises For Busy Doctors And Healthcare Professionals

My Journey From Medical School To Medical Residency In Kenya

Why Do Doctors Wear Green In Operation Theater?

Check These 10 Awesome Gifts For Doctors

Source

Add Reply

Attached Files:

2. Scarce01

Scarce01 Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States