centered image

centered image

The Last Day of Medical School

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

On a bulletin board at home, my parents have a picture of me and my neighbors on the first day of first grade. We all waited on the corner by a pile of boulders we called “the rocks.” I still remember that feeling: getting up in the morning, putting on my backpack, and knowing I was about to go somewhere but not knowing what that place will look like or when I’ll have to be where. But there was a confidence that if you just waited, somehow, a series of events would unfold that would arrange themselves into something I could call school.

The bus came, picked us up, and five years later, we graduated from elementary school. On the last day, we all received a T shirt. We did it. We hung tight, followed instructions, served our time-outs for fights on the playground, and were prepared to move on to the next stage.

dd8840b84ecab3c0bedd97256efc0643.jpg

As I waited for the bus on the first day of middle school, the anxiety of the unknown still simmered, but at the risk of falling into a Rumsfeldian philosophical sinkhole, the path ahead was a known unknown. I didn’t know what was going to happen, but I knew what it was like to come out on the other side.

Today, I had my last day of medical school. There will be no more school buses. Graduating from my MD/PhD program in year 24 of my educational training, I feel like a spring compressed with as much potential energy as it can contain without collapsing into a ball of metal. In residency, I’ll learn more than I ever have before, but it is also an inflection point, where I approach giving back as much as I take in, and I’m ready to be useful to the world.

f84d6a20059d1a53977f173e039c864a._.jpg

Source

Add Reply