centered image

The Middle School Of Medicine: A Reflection On The First Year Of Medical School

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by In Love With Medicine, Jul 11, 2020.

1. In Love With Medicine

In Love With Medicine Golden Member

[​IMG]

There is a picture of me kneeling in front of the Azure Window, once off the coast of Malta, eating a chocolate ice-cream cone. I am 12 years old, having just finished the sixth grade, wearing high-top “Bathroom Wall” Converse and not-at-all-grungy cargo pants in my attempt to emulate the 2008 aesthetic of Avril Lavigne. On top, I’m wearing a plaid button-down and a straw cowboy hat, which my mom had bought me the previous day at a tourist shop because it reminded me of barrel racing and Shania Twain. My face looks content, but beneath my ridiculous outfit, I was wondering if people liked me or who my teachers would be in seventh grade and if I was doing well enough in school. Would my mom be mad at me for kissing a boy on the soccer field or using swear words?

I distinctly remember feeling extremely cool, much cooler than my parents seemed to acknowledge, and yet utterly insecure. A striking dichotomy of both child and adult formed the conflict of adolescence. Every day my understanding of “self” unfolded a little more. I was blissfully unaware of my misguided attempts to be grown-up and yet all too aware of my awkwardness, never connecting the two might be related.

Fast-forward, and I am in the middle school of medical education. The simple, naïve pre-med years are behind me, and ahead of me lies a more competent resident and attending physician. My undergraduate years are elementary school: My meals provided to me by a cafeteria, more naps than I ever deserved, and plenty of time to spend with friends (and horses). As an undergraduate student studying biology, I was aspirational about my future, but still basking in the glow of higher education with no realistic concept of what the future held. Now a newly-minted second-year medical student, I am once again struggling to find my place, yet this time within medicine and not the schoolyard. I feel grown-up enough to be a respected member of the medical team and yet too young to make any meaningful contributions, buckled into the Dunning-Kruger roller coaster of I got this! and Wow, I do not got this. Every new concept, experience, and physical exam skill affirms my love for medicine as it simultaneously terrifies me. Will I ever be good at this?

During my fourth session shadowing a community family-medicine preceptor, I was tasked with taking a patient history (histor-ies, really, as it was a couple). Panicked, I told the doctor I was not ready, but he assured me the task was not that bad and also not optional. I knocked on the door of exam room 2 to find a sweet woman and her husband next to her, staring a bit blankly. I nervously introduced myself and began to work through the OPQRST I had learned in my doctoring course, scribbling down medications I hadn’t yet heard of, and details I figured would be important.

Despite my obvious discomfort, the couple was very willing to answer my questions and indulge a young stranger about their medical history. I attempted to follow up on their answers to the health screening packets the clinic provided for their yearly physicals, but it soon became clear to me I wasn’t prepared for that task. I had no idea how often women should get mammograms or when they aged out of Pap smears. Nevertheless, a few minutes into the encounter, it suddenly didn’t feel so scary. My friendly yet frightened face seemed to discourage them from asking too many questions: they’d wait for the doctor.

“I’ll be back in with the doctor soon,” and out the door I went, clammy and relieved. As exhilarating as medicine is, real patients are terrifying—with real problems and no script. I feel guilty admitting to my anxiety and hesitancy given how badly I’ve wanted to practice medicine for the last many years, but my excitement is not yet a match for the colossal amount of information I’ve yet to learn. Yet as I left the room unscathed, I felt confident in my history taking, and reported back to the doctor with the information I found. I rattled off prescriptions needed, new symptoms, gone symptoms, life updates—

“Great! Did you ask about Cologuard for them?” Well, no …

“Her last mammogram?” Um, no …

“How are we going to keep them from dying of cancer?” he said with a light-hearted smile, his medical assistants looking a little too satisfied at my incompetence. So much for my stellar history taking skills and the small amount of security I just had in myself. There is a lot of learning ahead of me.

In the end, there is something reassuring about the middle school of medicine: I already survived once. Maybe not the medicine part. But the middle school part, yes—despite every awkward encounter, wrong answer, embarrassing moment, and weird change, I survived middle school to reach high school, then college, then medical school. I sometimes find myself wishing I could fast-forward, to be an attending now without any of the pain that comes with learning and growing. But I know that these in-between, adolescent times are crucial to the development of my own values, resilience, and viewpoints, as if I am nestled in a cocoon of experiences, protected by the institution of medical school but awaiting to emerge a full-blown physician.

Sitting in Malta eating my ice cream cone, I had no idea I would someday be a 12-years-older version of that same girl in medical school: excited for the future but worried about who I am and who I am becoming. Fortunately for everyone, I ditched the high-top Converse and straw hat for a short white coat and a stethoscope.

Alexis Christine Bailey is a medical student.

Source

Add Reply