centered image

centered image

Top 10 Daily Habits That Can Damage Your Brain

Discussion in 'Physiology' started by Egyptian Doctor, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

You might want to re-examine those little daily habits after reading this list. These are some small but very important things that can have a negative impact on your brain. Read on, hopefully you'll want to change something in your life after you finish!

1. Skipping Breakfast - Many people underestimate breakfast. Not consuming anything in the morning causes a decline in blood sugar levels. This results in a lack of nutrients to the brain. Continuing this habit for too long can cause a decline in brain function over a few years, due to insufficient brain fuel. The best breakfast in the morning is not heavy foods such as burgers, but water and at least glass of fresh fruit juice. I also throw in some protein in the form of an egg and beans! Compact and useful for the body!

2. Overeating - Too much to eat can harden the blood vessel of the brain that usually leads to the decline of mental powers. This is due to buildup of fatty acids and cholesterol. I bet you didn't know that in addition to affecting the heart, this affects the brain as well! So eat a normal portion. Familiarize yourself with portion sizes so you stop eating before you’re stuffed.

3. Smoking - Cigarettes have a lot of bad effects, everyone already knows this. There’s one more bad effect from cigarettes that you should know. Smoking reduces the size of blood vessels throughout the body. This effect is seen easily in the extremities (fingers and toes being cold) but also affects the brain. With decreased blood flow the human brain can gradually shrink, lose cells, and lose much of the elasticity that allows you to learn and think quickly. One more reason to quit!

4. Consuming Too Much Sugar - Too much sugar intake will prevent the absorption of protein and nutrients in the body and brain. Sugar can override important nutrients and cause a form of malnutrition. This is especially significant with children and teenagers, as this disrupts brain development. Sad to say, but we should probably reduce sugar consumption. (Ahh, chocolate! I must have my chocolate!)

5. Air Pollution - The brain is part of the body absorbs the most oxygen. Too long in a polluted environment makes the brain work inefficiently.

6. Sleep Deprivation - Sleep gives the brain a chance to rest. Frequent sleep deprivation makes the brain cells die from exhaustion. On the other hand excessive amounts of sleep can make you become lazy and slow. You should sleep 6-8 hours a day for the best benefits.

7. Covering one’s head during sleep - Sleeping with the head covered is a bad habit that can be very dangerous. Carbon dioxide produced by the lungs during sleep can collect in the enclosed space and become concentrated in the brain. Too much CO2 will damage the brain over time.

8. Thinking Too Hard - This might seem kind of weird, but the brain is like a muscle in many ways. When sick, working hard or studying can hinder the effectiveness of the brain. If you're sick, be aware that you can overstress the brain as well as the body and get some much-needed rest!

9. Lack of Brain Stimulation - Thinking is the best way to train the brain. Again, it's like a muscle in that if you don't use it, you'll lose it! Engage in brain-stimulating activities frequently such as diligent reading, listening to music and playing challenging games such as Chess or Scrabble. Currently, I'm catching up on my books and I'm in an improv group which definitely keeps you on your toes!

10. Rarely Talking - Quiet people may be considered polite, but you should consider whether you're engaging in conversation or just sitting out so you don't have to think. Once again, use it or lose it! Intellectual conversations have a good effect on the brain. So get out there, socialize, and debate! It'll be fun and good for your brain!

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply

2. lanka007

lanka007 Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Sri Lanka
    ඔහේ INTERNET එකෙන් අහුලගත්තු පච Faculty Of Medicine නම විකුනලා හලන එක නම් චාටර් .....මිනිස්සු මේවා සීරියස් ගන්නවා....උන්ට පවු.

king cobra likes this.
  3. attu elly

attu elly Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Tanzania
  4. Benson Minja.

Benson Minja. Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Tanzania
    i like it

5. itop

itop Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Singapore
    doctor, may i ask.whether excessive mastrubation will damage the brain??

6. Nana Shonk

Nana Shonk Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Georgia
    Overthinking and not thinking is equally harmful! Great! :D

7. king cobra

king cobra Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    Yes...it effects on brain.....u will not concentrate well on different tasks.
    Different websides say that it does not effect but the truth is masturbation has serious effect on brain functioning power.

Dr.Abdallah Saeed likes this.
  8. king cobra

king cobra Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Pakistan
    Good information...I like it

9. Alaa Gawad

Alaa Gawad Active member

Anaesthesia doctor
    Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    I read that article and it is helpful to me

10. nafous

nafous Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Romania
    Its really interesting!
    thak you Doctor!

11. suman

suman Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Ukraine
    thanks for such usefull posts !!!!!

12. Genero Stunsky

Genero Stunsky Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Malaysia
    so informative for us..going to share them..thanks!!

13. samar el-khateib

samar el-khateib Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    thanks a lot for these useful info. :)

14. Rodrick Lwando

Rodrick Lwando Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Zambia
    "Thinking too hard vs lack of brain stimulation must be a huge topic"!
    The more you think, the more active the brain becomes and probably, the more you run the risk of damaging it.