centered image

centered image

Tragic Pensioner Cruelly Dubbed 'Elephant Man' Dies After Years Spent Begging Doctors To Amputate

Discussion in 'Parasitology' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Tragic pensioner cruelly dubbed 'Elephant Man' dies after years spent begging doctors to amputate massive three STONE leg

Michael Cull, cruelly nicknamed Elephant Man, had been pleading with the NHS to have an amputation but potential operations were continually pushed back

c1f73f0b6bed43718902769931e2170a.jpg

Body problems: Michael says the condition has had an impact on every part of his life
    A man who has battled with doctors for more than a decade to have his swollen leg amputated has died because of the bizarre condition.

Pensioner Michael Cull passed away on Thursday after years of pleading with doctors to amputate his leg.

The 68-year-old, who had been cruelly dubbed the 'Elephant Man' was involved in a car accident 12 years ago.

Soon afterwards, the retired NASA computer technician saw his leg begun to swell, with it eventually weighing 3st at the time of his death.

Ex-NASA expert fights NHS over whether to amputate his gigantic leg

Mr Cull was diagnosed as having gross lymphedema but doctors later suspected he suffered from elephantiasis.

However, blood tests at the London Hospital of Tropical Diseases failed to find any trace of the parasite which typically causes the condition.

Mr Cull had been pleading with the NHS for several years to have an amputation but dates for appointments and potential operations were continually pushed back.

Doctors had discovered tumours in his leg not long before Mr Cull went on holiday to Newcastle last month.

5d301dbe3b5bbe7f2d4790830f416991.jpg

Michael Cull endured more than decade of agonising pain
    He travelled to Newcastle with his close friend Christina Brooks, 65, who was at his bedside when he died.

Mr Cull was initially in intensive care in a Newcastle hospital before being transferred to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary .

Christina said she could only watch on in horror as Mr Cull died in agony.

Pensioner cruelly taunted as 'Elephant Man' prepares for leg amputation

She said: "He was very, very ill.

"They took him to hospital in Newcastle and they put him on antibiotics and drips, and he was in intensive care for about three weeks before he was transferred up to Aberdeen.

"He was my best friend - I've loved Michael for 13 years, but I cannot bear the way he kept having the rug pulled from under him.

"I'm not saying they weren't treating him well, but they left it far too late.

bb88545d114b12440f561383e57a0375.jpg

The retired Nasa computer technician suffered from elephantiasis
    "I went up to see him yesterday and I could hear him screaming in agony. It was like being in a torture chamber.

"He was crying, yelling and screaming any time they tried to move his leg.

"It was black and blue from the bottom right up to the top, and things didn't need to get to that stage.

"Suddenly the noises he was making stopped and that was it.

0c0b6c8a76b541b29085537129a3de83.jpg

Michael's left leg ballooned to more than three stone in weight before he died
    "He was promised treatment time after time, but the plug kept being pulled.

"I've lost a very, very dear friend."

'Elephant man' to pay £12k for life-changing surgery after 'NHS let him down'

Mr Cull, who was orphaned as a child, moved to Rosehearty 12 years ago after previously living in London.

A spokeswoman for NHS Grampian said: "NHS Grampian extends condolences to the family of Mr Cull.

"Due to patient confidentiality we cannot discuss individual cases.

8b585e60f5f039d93664b76ce1807334.jpg

Michael told doctors he was prepared for an amputation
    "However, if Mr Cull's family or next of kin are in any way concerned about the care or treatment received, then we would urge them to contact our Feedback service and we will respond to them directly."

Source

Add Reply