centered image

centered image

What Do Surgeons Talk About While Operating On A Patient?

Discussion in 'General Surgery' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, May 1, 2018.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Rachel Tigges, former Physician Assistant

I'm a medical student With 14 weeks of experience in surgery so far. Yesterday’s topics in the OR (during a plastic surgery) included recent vacations of the surgeon, opinions of other places of travel, some loud scolding (yelling) at a nurse who wasn't listening to the surgeon’s orders, and the latest gossip about celebrities and politicians.

I've worked with over a dozen different surgeons. I've worked with a surgeon who would have inappropriate (slightly sexual jokes that would offend anyone) he knew his audience though And got away with his remarks. I've worked with another who wouldn't speak at all but instead play classical music. Many surgeons I've worked with are quick to anger (rightfully so, though) and are not shy to yell when their patience has been tested. For instance, if a surgeon asks for another 4–0 nylon to be opened onto the sterile field and the nurse grabs the wrong one or doesn't listen after being told more than once, I've had a surgeon say something along the lines of "this is ridiculous, I told you 4–0 and that should be out already.” The other day, a surgical tech handed a piece of equipment that wasn't assembled to a surgeon and was scolded about not properly doing her job. Many times if a tech hands over a needle not properly clamped on the needle (clamp is in middle of needle rather than the 3/4ths end), they'll either be reminded kindly or abruptly how to hand a needle off properly.

The OR is a serious place and mistakes and poor listening are not taken lightly. Every single person being paid in the OR room is held to a very high standard. Time is money and also a safety issue. The quicker the surgery, the lower the cost as well as risk of complications. Therefore, if the staff aren't working up to par, conversations will consist of scolding and areas that need improvement.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply