centered image

What To Do When People Ask You For Medical Advice When You Go To Social Events Without Being Rude?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Robert Frantz, B.S., M.D. Zoology & Medicine and Healthcare, The University of Oklahoma (1996)

[​IMG]

When I was a paramedic I woke one morning with terrible pain in my ear. I couldn’t imagine what was wrong. I suspected it was an infection but I wasn’t sure. I had to work a 24 hour shift so I just tried to get myself ready for work and ignore it.

By about three in the afternoon my ear was throbbing. Earache pain is no joke. My partner suggested that I ask one of the ER doctors to take a look at it. Those guys were always busy but I knew I was going to have to wait 24 hours at a minimum to be seen otherwise so I decided to ask.

We had just dropped off a patient and I approached one of the doctors at his work desk and asked him if he would please take a look at my ear. He was immediately pissed. (I guess my timing could have been better). He told me to wait and was pretty rude about it. One of the other doctors overheard all this and took me into an exam room and gently looked at my ear. He diagnosed me with an external ear infection and very kindly gave me a prescription to fill that would fix it. Later in the same shift he even asked me how I was feeling. It made a huge impact on me.

I decided that if I was ever fortunate enough to obtain a medical education I would never turn down a single person who asked for or needed my attention or advice. (In person, Quorans). I cannot accurately diagnose your problem at a dinner party or barbecue. I will listen to you however, give you my best opinion and advice and help you figure out your next best step.

Source

Add Reply