centered image

Why (and How) This YouTube Star Gave Up Medical School for Makeup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

4fb858cd4484ea4bf3b1967f801ffc7a.png

Like many makeup lovers, Manny Gutierrez had an affinity for cosmetics from a young age. However, as a teenager, the 25-year-old YouTube beauty guru hid his passion from his family. In an industry dominated by females, Manny is one of the few male makeup gurus of social media, but with 2 million–plus followers, his influence is undeniable.

Before Manny because a successful makeup artist and tastemaker, the California native had his sights set on medical school. He eventually went on to work the Sephora and MAC makeup counters in San Diego, which is where it all began. "I had my struggles with my family, due to misunderstanding and miscommunication," he tells Teen Vogue. "I did have pushback in the beginning of my career because my parents weren't really sure what I was going to do with my life going in the route of makeup. I was planning on medical school, so when I threw the makeup wrench at them, they were not expecting that."

As time went on, Manny grew his social media presence both on Instagram and YouTube. It was only a matter of time before he befriended makeup trailblazerPatrick Simondac (aka Patrick Starrr), and the two became besties. These days,the two are inseparable, and "Manny MUA," as he's known to most who follow him, is a regular at beauty events and product launches. The rising star tells Teen Vogue that he has two upcoming partnerships in the works in addition to his current Makeup Geek and Ofra Cosmetics collabs.

Source

Add Reply