centered image

Why Building Your Social Media Following Is Critical To Your Practice’s Success

Discussion in 'Hospital' started by The Good Doctor, Jul 7, 2023.

1. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor Golden Member

Scrolling through social media, you might come to believe that it’s only for models, foodies, and cute dogs. While these types of accounts are certainly popular, the truth of the matter is that social media is a powerful tool you can use to propel your practice forward. With it, you can create meaningful content that changes lives, gain a loyal band of followers, and, ultimately, bring an incredible amount of attention to your practice. As someone with over 1.7 million followers, having a large social media presence has done wonders for my practice and my personal brand.

However, if you don’t have experience with social media, it can seem daunting. Where do you start? What kind of content should you post? And how can you carve out time to update it when you’re already busy and overwhelmed?

Don’t worry: you can begin building your social media footprint with a few simple steps. After all, you don’t get to millions of followers overnight. By sticking to a strategy and being consistent, you can make your mark.

Here’s how to get started.

Choose your platforms

There are a number of different social media platforms to choose from. Facebook is the most popular platform, with 2.85 billion users, and can be used to build relationships and brand loyalty. Instagram is for brand awareness, engagement, and lead generation for users aged 25-34, and LinkedIn is for B2B interactions and business development. If you want to share short snippets of your thoughts throughout the day, you can post on Twitter, which is best for public relations.

You can start with one platform or a few. Just make sure that you have the bandwidth to promote consistently, which means updating at least a few times a week. It’s also critical to comment on other people’s posts to build your own following, so keep that in mind.

Typically, I post most often on Instagram. Since I’m a plastic surgeon, I share photos of my surgeries and before-and-after pictures. These pictures prove that I’m great at my job and convince my followers to look into my services. They are perfect for lead generation.

[​IMG]

Develop a social media strategy

Ask yourself these questions to align yourself with a social media strategy that will lead to growth while staying true to your voice.

What makes me different from other people on social media?

What advice, knowledge, and entertainment value can I provide?

What experience or credentials do I have to inspire trust in others?

How will my audience connect to my social media content?

Remember: Let your individuality shine through and be who you are. Always be real with your followers. Fully engage with your audience by giving advice or greater insight on an issue, and share content that is informative and/or entertaining. And don’t stray from your core content, your content pillars. That will help you develop your unique voice and personal brand.

My content pillars include those before-and-after photos, tutorials on using skincare products, dispelling misinformation around products and procedures, and reposts of my media appearances. All of these pillars are compelling to my audience and help to establish trust in my practice.

Be your authentic self

Social media is where people who have something different to say really stand out. If you’re just creating content that other doctors have already made or regurgitating the same few talking points, it’s going to be hard for you to build a following. Instead, express your values and bring your authentic self to the table.

As an activist for my Jewish community, I don’t always receive positive feedback. In fact, I frequently receive threats. But at the same time, as soon as I started speaking up and showing my true self, I gained tons of admirers as well. I was saying the things out loud that they were too afraid to say. I was expressing their thoughts eloquently and not letting fear get in the way.

You can become a hero for speaking your mind. How? Always come from a place of love and don’t put others down. Instead, be firm in your positions and open to conversations if people want to chat in real life or online. These conversations will show that you are receptive to your followers and patients and willing to listen to different perspectives. People will trust you more, and it will make your work that much more enjoyable.

Should you hire a social media coordinator?

A social media coordinator can help you plan your content strategy and calendar. They will monitor your ROI and determine what kinds of content to post based on the feedback you’re receiving.

However, they cannot replace you. You can’t hand over all of the control to your social media coordinator because then you’ll lose your voice and won’t come across as authentic anymore.

Instead, during your downtime, post on social media and interact with your followers and other users, and have your social media coordinator help you with the more technical tasks. For instance, you could write posts and then have your coordinator post them. Then, you can make sure you’re posting consistently while not having to worry about how it’ll affect your practice.

Now that you have the knowledge to get started with social media, don’t let your insecurities hold you back. It’s OK if your hair is out of place. It’s OK if you say “umm.” Don’t worry about the minor imperfections. Just get going!

Once you do, let your patients know how they can follow you and encourage them to tell their friends and family as well. With an increase in online visibility, you’ll surely see the results translate to your practice and ensure your success as a doctor and thought leader in your field.

Source

Add Reply