centered image

Why Did You Choose To Be A Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Since I don't believe in free will, I do not feel we get to choose anything, at least once we are born. I think the choosing is made before birth, then we just dive in. To believe this, you also have to believe in reincarnation.

To illustrate this, let me tell you my story, and see if you agree.

Having left the seminary because I discovered girls, I entered a Catholic High School where I lived in New Jersey. One of the nuns took a liking to me, and asked me what I was going to do after high school. I had good grades, and she knew I was college material. My father had died when I was 12, so I had essentially no male guidance.

When I said I did not know what I wanted to do, i asked her, since she was my teacher. She said, "I''ll find out." Next day she said, "You have an aptitude for biology."

So I said, "What does that mean?" And the answer again was, "I'll find out."

Next day, "You should be a dentist."

So I enrolled in Villanova University. The first day we were all gathered around outside the building, waiting for it to open. In any group, there is always a mover and shaker, and I met him. He said, "What are you going to do?" And I answered, "A dentist."

He said, "You don't want to be a dentist. They all get varicose veins, have a high suicide rate, and look in a small area every day,."

So we all go in and take seats. The first thing the professor says is, "How many of you are going to be doctors?"

I looked around and EVERYONE had their hands raised. SO I RAISED MINE!

So did I really choose to be a doctor? Or was it predestined, like in Slumdog Millionaire where it says, "It is written?"

And so far I don't have varicose veins and haven't committed suicide. Since I became a gynecologist, I figure two out of three isn't bad.

2dd4212ce7221dacb4271cc5fee08d83.jpg

Source

Add Reply