centered image

centered image

Why Do I Want To Be A Doctor?

Discussion in 'Medical Students Cafe' started by bart, Sep 7, 2019.

1. bart

bart Active member

Practicing medicine in:
    Argentina

The truth is that I did not ask this question until I entered medical school. I have always tried to help all the people around me; however, I had never asked myself why I should be a doctor. As I was forming in the discipline, I gradually realized the importance of the profession. I don't consider it a job, but I take it as a way of life. The doctor is gradually forming; anyone with good memory and high capacity for studies could graduate. But the question I ask is the following: does anyone serve as a doctor? My answer to this question is no, to be a good doctor you need to feel it and live it constantly. You are not a doctor only in the consultation; health professionals should be willing to help everyone who needs it. This initiative must come from within and not be forced to help just because you have a degree.

I was not aware of this until I started university and I realized that the goal in my life was not to have a lot of money or to have a BMW at the door of my house, for me it is much more valuable to be useful in the society and to help all those who need it. I think this is the basis of a good doctor and the objective to be pursued. I give this feature so much importance that when someone comes asking for help I always treat them in the best possible way.

I think medicine is the most honorable profession. Every day that passes I go with my head higher and I feel more proud of being what I am. I feel that I can help everyone who needs it; it is definitely my daily motivation. Motivation without which I could not have reached where I am right now. I know that in life, right decisions and wrong decisions are made, in my case, dedicating me to medicine is the best thing that could have happened to me. Therefore, the question is: What would have happened to me if I had not chosen this profession? The truth is that I do not find an answer to this question since I am happy about this decision.

There are people who think that each one has a certain destiny; I do not think there is a predetermined destiny, what I do think is that each one chooses a path in their life depending on their way of being. In my case, I have succeeded with my choice. The doctor is forged little by little, but the good doctor in addition to knowledge is already born with certain values in his/her personality to exercise this profession. It can be said that helping people is carried inside, even before entering university.

[​IMG]

Add Reply