centered image

Why Has Africa Not Been Hit Harder By The Corona Virus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

This question was originally posted on Quora.com and was answered by Silantoi Olting'idi, Lived in Africa .

[​IMG]

I currently live and work in Nairobi, Kenya. Indeed we haven’t been hit by Coronavirus as much as the other continents. But we still have cases.

Nairobi is a busy city and the JKIA our main International airport is amongst the busiest on the continent. Heck, we even have direct flights to cities in China, the country where this whole thing started. They only recently stopped the last few weeks.

2 of the reported 4 cases(as of this writing) in Kenya are from people who came from abroad. We’ve probably had more exposure to Coronavirus than we think, but probably the rate of infection is lower. There have been many speculations about how the hot climate in Africa could be doing the magic. Maybe, maybe not.

From what I have read, COVID-19 seems to affect old people the most. This could work for Africa in that;

• Only 7% of Africa’s population is old.
    • The majority of our population is in rural areas, and it might take a while to get to them. This is good news.
    We have also taken measures to protect ourselves:

On Mar 16th, the President of Kenya banned all visitors coming from the COVID-19 hit countries, who are neither Kenyan Citizens nor reside in Kenya. Of course, no public gatherings for people over 100 and some companies have already started Flexi work schedules for people to work from home. Yes. We have reliable internet providers. Schools are now closed.

We definitely hope that COVID-19 does not blow up in this beautiful continent. Especially because we have a lot of people using public transport and those who live in congested areas where human contact is unavoidable.

Edit 24th, April 2020

Wow! Thanks for the upvotes & comments! I am glad many found this answer helpful and worthy of applause

Obviously there have been changes in the last month, so here we go we the statistics;

Kenya

Confirmed cases = 320

• Number of deaths = 14
    • Recoveries = 89
    Source: Google

Africa

Confirmed cases = 27,385

• Number of deaths = 1,297
    • Recoveries = 8,172
    • Infected countries = 52
    • Virus-free countries = 2 (Lesotho, Comoros)
    Source: AfricaNews.com

Obviously more testing is needed, but I am hopeful that the rate of infection is scaled down given the current curfew and city lockdowns across the continent.

#staysafe

Source

Add Reply