centered image

Why I Chose Medicine

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

The last article I wrote included a little background on myself and how that background factored into me eventually picking medicine as my career. But when it came to the final moment of truth, how did I know for sure? And, how did I know which school to pick?

When I was 17, someone asked me, "what do you see yourself doing for the next 20-25 years?" That question really got me thinking: What I choose is what I will do. We spend the better part of our lives working, and most of our days are spent working. So you have to choose a career that you enjoy. Medicine is a career that has a connection with people. You learn deep parts of them and relate to them; at the same time, you are there to help. The banker gets to know people for a loan or something like that, but it is different in medicine. And, in my opinion, it is the only, or one of the very few careers, that offer that close interaction with others. In all honesty, I see myself working as a doctor for the greater part of my adult life. I would like to say, the world needs all kinds of people. Not everyone can or wants to be doctor and not everyone can or wants to be a banker. We need both, and the world wouldn't be the same without all the different people in it.

Medicine is a career for curious people. I like to know why: Why do people cough? Why does that disease do that? How does the body work like that? For as long as I can remember, I have always asked questions. I like finding out deep answers for simple and complex questions. Medicine does that from various points of view. It includes research, clinical sciences, and basic sciences. When you put the 3 together, you have a an amazing view when you get to the top of the mountain.

A lot of blood, sweat, and long hours of studying make you a doctor. There are times when it is frustrating; you have to sacrifice so much and for so long. Your friends are out on weekends. They are out getting married and traveling. Sometimes, it feels like you are still in the same place. All I can do is plow through those feelings and keep going. All I can do is keep my eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel. At the same time, we have to try and have a balance so we are not in autopilot. Otherwise, on graduation day you will be asking, "How did I get here?" This what we chose, let us enjoy every day of it and the path to get there as well.

Finally, for me I just couldn't see myself studying something else. I always felt that this what I wanted. I felt decided on medicine. Now that I am studying, I honestly don't see myself in another career. I am not saying I haven't had dark moments of sadness or that it hasn't been difficult. I am human after all! But really, in the long run, I feel that this where I am supposed to be.

Now for the school. This is a little bit more tailored to where you are and what you have available to you. I am an IMG, so I can share what my experiences have been in that area. I am not going to get into "technical aspects" but really more of just why I choose my school. I think a school gives you an MD but you make yourself a doctor. How good you want to be is up to you.

At my school, I felt like they really were part of a cause and not just another medical school. What really attracted me to the program was how the program has an integrated curriculum. You study based on systems (eg, cardiology or neurology all at once). The research and leadership portion also really interested me. There is a lot of emphasis on research and how that permeates all other areas of medicine. For me, research has always been something I am interested in. I enjoy writing and research as well. My school also has a mentorship with faculty members to give guidance and support in personal and professional needs, to help in any way possible. Last, but not least, is they have problem-based learning.

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply