centered image

centered image

Young Physicians: Don’t Repeat My Generation’s Mistakes

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Dr.Scorpiowoman, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

[​IMG]

My generation of physicians was much like yours.

My were also “the best.” We’d risen to the top of every academic pyramid: middle school, high school, college. We could be anything we wanted to be.

We chose medicine, partly for noble reasons. Our bodies were wondrous and we got to help people. But also for some not so noble reasons: the money was good, everyone would look up to us, and we’d never have to deal with the compromises and corruption of business. After all, who would ever put a price tag on life and death?

So we also put in our seven or more years of sleepless nights and accumulated mounds of debt. No problem: The endgame was a lifetime of respect, doing good for society, and financial independence.

Our cloistered academic training reinforced our sense of superiority and uniqueness. We emerged feeling we were chosen, exempt from the rules of the outside world.

Then we entered practice and reality struck in so many ways.

First, our patients often fought us. They wouldn’t lose weight even if the alternative was insulin shots. They wouldn’t stop drinking even as their skin turned sallow. They wouldn’t stop smoking even when we outlined that dreaded spot on their chest X-ray.

We’d imagined a life filled with satisfying “saves.” Instead, we woke up every day to a continuing ever eroding holding action.

Second, we get bored. Most of our day was spent reassuring patients, taking blood pressures, and taking care of paperwork. Daily practice lacked the intellectual excitement we’d expected.

The money was good; the respect was good … but in our hearts the prestige felt out of sync with the mundane nature of our work.

Third, medicine suddenly became a business, and that changed everything.

Nobody cared about our life and death stakes anymore. The “suits” only cared about how much you made them, how much you cost them, and how easy you were to replace. And we knew deep down, we too often could be replaced. It had been a long time since we’d practiced at the top of our license.

Suddenly men in cubicles were telling us how long our patients could stay in the hospital, what medications we could prescribe, and most galling how much we’d be paid. We’d never been treated in such a heavy-handed manner.

We asked ourselves, “What happened?” We were always the smart ones. Suddenly our peers who failed academically were telling us what to do. We couldn’t admit that they often had other skills we might have lacked: risk-taking, questioning authority, the ability to inspire others. In this new ugly business of medicine, those qualities now reigned supreme.

So we entered the grieving process.

First, denial. (“My world is not going to change. I’m the one saving lives. My patients will never allow this to happen.”) Then, anger. (“I’m going to quit the profession!”) Then, bargaining. (“OK. I know I may have abused my authority when I was in control, but I’ll be better if you give me another chance.”) Then, depression (“I was the best. Why did they change the rules?”) And finally, resignation. (“Just a few more years and I can retire.”)

Almost every doctor of my generation is now working through various stages of this process. Almost none of us have recommended the profession to our children.

Personally, I don’t blame my generation for feeling betrayed. I blame an academic system that taught us having a knowledge base could somehow bypass the give and take, compromises, and people skills of almost any other profession. I blame a system that taught us being the best meant the best at taking tests.

It has been excruciating to watch my generation of physicians pay the price for these false promises.

All we can do is pass down this moral: Make sure your generation of physicians is better served.

Source

Add Reply
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2020
    Swam Htet likes this.

2. arpita sarkar

arpita sarkar Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    India
    sad reality

Nada El Garhy likes this.
  3. kazi sefayet enam

kazi sefayet enam Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bangladesh
    at least in your country u got the earning and respect ri8.... sigh.. -_-

4. Dr.Scorpiowoman

Dr.Scorpiowoman Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    I'm sorry to hear that, but don't you get financially stable even after few years after graduation? In my country, the government doesn't pay doctors enough, so they shift to private practice instead, even though real money in private practice is earned few years after graduation, not right away.

5. Md Naim Hasan

Md Naim Hasan Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Bangladesh
    If you are a western doctor, you have every reason to be happy both from financial & security point of views. In my country Bangladesh, after graduation, govt pays a physician 200$ (200 US dollars) per month only for 1 year, with no securities, no limited time schedule for duty. In post graduation courses no one gets paid even a single penny. It's a curse to study medicine in Bangladesh!

6. Mohammed goma ramadan

Mohammed goma ramadan Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt
    Ok
    Iam agree
    All the time before graduation from medical coledge dreaming of best life iam giving and living .....but i discovered that with financial aspect no ethics
    I finally discovered that iam wasting my life as a doctor not living life normally like others do.....my time not of my own and related to others life ......
    Iam carraying all others sadness under there stressors and i should be smilling all the time in front of all my patients and relatives........

Oh

What along standing strugling life...