centered image

Your White Coat Pocket: Tips from Upperclassmen

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Ghada Ali youssef, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Ghada Ali youssef

Ghada Ali youssef Golden Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

Every year our alumni host what they call “Dish & Dessert” an event held each May where 3rd and 4th years share their wisdom about the clinical world that administration doesn’t speak about. For 4th years, it’s a chance to share how there is light at the end of the tunnel. For 3rd years, it’s a chance to express just how close they are. And for us 2nd years, it’s a chance to take a peek into a new world for us, the hospital.

There was a lot to dish, and beyond themes of survival, appreciation, and humility, one theme came up. What do you put in your white coat pockets? For the past two years, mine have been pretty sparse, a pen and a notepad for any clinical pearls I might want to jot down. In the clinical world, these pockets just aren’t deep enough. A few of the items they recommended, beyond the tape/scissors/pager/patient notes/ study books for shelf exams:

1. Your phone with your groupme chat. There will be days when you need to share your successes, and also days you just need a pick me up.
    2. Two granola bars. One for when you get hungry. One for when a classmate gets hungry but forgets theirs.
    These two stood out, because they remind me of the humanity that is medicine, and that we as medical students are still human. We will face challenges and will need to stay connected to our peers throughout the next chapter of our lives.

What else have you put in your white coat that has kept you sane?

[​IMG]

Source

Add Reply