centered image

centered image

10 Tips to Quit Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Egyptian Doctor, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

1. Don't hang around people and places where you might be tempted to drink. Stop going to the bars where you used to drink and stop associating with people who will pressure you to drink.

2. Go through your cabinets and throw away every single bottle of alcohol. If you have a spouse or roommate who drinks alcohol, kindly ask if they could drink when you're not around.

3. Take it one day, one second, or even one hour at a time.

4. Advertise it to the world that you want to quit drinking. Seek the support and encouragement from family, friends, and people who have been in your shoes and can help you with your goal.

5. Reward yourself when you don't drink alcohol. For every day, week, or month that passes and you don't drink, celebrate with a gift! Give yourself incentives to keep going.

6. Visualize yourself and how it will be when you've completely kicked the alcohol habit. Visualization is very powerful in instilling into your subconscious that you are committed to this goal. Do these visualization exercises in the morning and evening.

7. Give yourself realistic goals and take it one stop at a time. Maybe you can't quit all at once, so perhaps you could just gradually cut down your drinking day by day.

8. Get help with the psychological and emotional issues related to your alcoholism. Many people begin drinking alcohol to get away from problems or maybe alcoholism is something that has been going on in the family for some time. Find someone you feel comfortable talking to about these problems.

9. Find positive and meaningful hobbies to keep you busy.

10. Never give up!

Alcoholism is a disease that plagues many people. To quit drinking alcohol takes a great deal of patience and will power, but the benefits are definitely worth it!

Drunk.jpg
    Source

Add Reply
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

2. dofus kamas

dofus kamas Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    American Samoa
    Yes, you are right.

3. indra

indra Bronze Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Indonesia
    Nice

4. Chaim Benedict

Chaim Benedict Young Member

Practicing medicine in:
    United States
    Howdy! I just wanted to say to anyone struggling with alcoholism that this person has no idea what they're talking about. I don't claim to be an expert in this field but I feel this was written by someone who said "I wonder what sounds good" rather than "I have a lot of experience in this and here is what works"