centered image

centered image

Well, Bad News for Crocs-Wearers Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Doctors Cafe' started by Egyptian Doctor, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Egyptian Doctor

Egyptian Doctor Moderator Verified Doctor

Practicing medicine in:
    Egypt

aaf7cdbfad106a3aaf608e769fb684c9.jpg

crocs are hugely popular all over the world, but they aren't that great for your feet.

According to Dr. Megan Leahy, a Chicago-based podiatrist with the Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, they are "not suitable for all-day use."

She recently told HuffPost: "These shoes do not adequately secure the heel. When the heel is unstable, toes tend to grip which can lead to tendinitis, worsening of toe deformities, nail problems, corns and calluses. The same thing can happen with flip flops or any backless shoes as the heel is not secured."

However, she added that they do provide "nice arch support."

Another foot expert, Dr. Alex Kor, the president of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine, explained that they "are the 'poster child' for shoes with a flexible shank. ... In other words, on a daily basis, I see patients who come into my office complaining of arch or heel pain and they are wearing crocs.

"The only two types of patients that may benefit from wearing crocs are patients that have a very high arch or those who suffer from excessive edema of their legs and ankle. But, under no circumstances can I suggest wearing crocs 8 to 10 hours per day."

In other words, they're okay for short trips to the beach or pool but not extended periods of walking.

Last summer Prince George, 2, revitalized interest in crocs after he was photographed wearing navy blue Croc clogs during a charity polo match in England.

494d27447ae6450eab15870bf95a4509.jpg

Celebrity chef Mario Batali is such a huge fan, that when he heard that crocs was discontinuing their shoes in orange, he ordered 200 pairs of them. In 2012, he told chef Eric Ripert why his signature look was shorts and orange crocs: "I think what I realized as an owner of my own place, I could do whatever I wanted ... It was just about comfort, it wasn't about fashion. Now of course, I'm a fashion icon."

Read Also:

Why Do Doctors Wear Crocs?

The Best Exercises For Busy Doctors And Healthcare Professionals

My Journey From Medical School To Medical Residency In Kenya

Why Do Doctors Wear Green In Operation Theater?

Check These 10 Awesome Gifts For Doctors

106dfd305f6499b764eb18c805025ca3.jpg

Source

Add Reply