centered image

centered image

When iron doesn't work

Discussion in 'Spot Diagnosis' started by fatymid, Feb 5, 2016.

1. fatymid

fatymid Famous Member

Practicing medicine in:
    Poland

Hello!

Today I've been provided with a case that is very interesting for me. It's a real one, so I do not want to give too much information.

19 y.o. girl with anemia, hypotension, allergic to pretty much everything since the childhood. Leukemia and breast cancer in family.

The problem for her now is that she has too low number of erythrocytes with the large number of white blood cells. She doesn't have any significant sympthomes apart from feeling weak, but I link it to hypotension mostly.

Lately, she has been diagnosed with fibroadenoma, but it doesn't seem to be bothering.

Changes in the numbers of blood cells (called here - sympthomes) are thought to have started 3 years ago. The thing that confuses me is that it came without any environmental changes. Normally, you could say that allergy could be behind it. However, since allergy was with her all the time, instnacy of sympthomes is quite interesting.

Moreover, she's been taking iron, but it didn't help at all. Erytrocytes level stayed the same.

I am not hoping to find full diagnosis here, but I would like to be provided with some kind of advice. Do you have any theories?

I am especially curious about the fact of organism not reacting to iron and sympthomes occuring suddenly.

These are the only information I can give, so I do not expect perfect diagnosis. I just need a possible cause.

Add Reply